Quote Originally Posted by Honeygirl View Post
I would move up to the 29 if I had the cash and could have a custom pilot house built. Having twins gives you a lot of piece of mind when your 100 miles out. I think a lot has changed in the Blackmans since the 80's. They are more refined and cleaner all-around less wood on the interior and more amenities. I do wish Steve would do a hull change another chime would help when your in a big following sea. The technology is changing faster than the boats are. The engines are getting stronger and faster. If I was in the new market for a boat I would be looking at the hull design close. Do you but a boat for 150g's that rides good at 20kts or pay the same price for a boat the rides great at 30-35knts. Maybe it's my generation, having the speed to get somewhere faster is more important. I felt it first hand two weeks ago when a parker and I were racing to the same spot I got out-ran and left for the spot first. Joe
Joe it's not just your generation, big reliable outboards were not available in the 80s when Blackman became popular hence the need for a more reliable economical but slower means of travel. Now you can get 2 reliable outboards for the same money as a single diesel I/O and get 50-100% more speed for close to the same milage; and with all the pressure the crowds create on the fish it's better to be the first one on the scene! Time will tell if the Parkers and Seaswirls hold up as well as a Blackman, but with any boat it's more important to use them often than just letting them sit. The only time the speed differential affects me is on a flat day going home; I'm not going to drive 35-40knts at night on the way out, we're generally trolling looking for paddies during the day, and there are not that many days you could travel at high speed into the wind chop and swell coming back from the southern tuna grounds. JMHO