+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which gear ratio?

Default which gear ratio?

O.K. I'm getting some mixed info on which is the best gear ratio for my boat, 26 billfisher with ad41, I have A4 props, I would like to be able to cruise at 20kts, so lets hear it from some blackman experts. Thanks Erik. 1.95 or 1.78?

I have a 97 Billfisher with 41P with 1.78 gears. I run tweeked A3s and she will cruise at 20 kts when she has a clean bottom and half a load of fuel at 3000 RPM to 3300 depending on the seas.

I have been told that the 41P has a little more power than the 41A.

Are the 1.78 suppose to be stronger than the 1.95, someone mentioned that in another post. I will need a new outdrive so trying to figure which way to go. Erik

Default 1.78

I have read that also.
    It is used with the higher HP engines ... i.e. 230 HP

Volvo offer 3 different gear ratios for our vintage DP drives. 2.30-1, 1.95-1 and 1.78-1

The idea is to match the right gear ratio to your horse power so you can stay in the middle of the prop range i.e A0 through A10. Ideally you want to be running A5s, be able to hit max RPM fully loaded and not have the engine temp rise above the manufactures guild lines.

Most diesels with less than 150 HP run the 2.30-1 gears, 150 to 220 HP run the 1.95-1 and the higher HP engines can push the 1.78-1 gears. A step change in gear usually equates to a 2 pitch change in prop to get the same results. 1.95 gears ans A4 props will be very close to 1.78 gears and A2 prop for the same HP engine without compromising max RPM or engine temp.

Staying with the 1.95 gears and testing out the next higher pitch prop is a lot cheaper than changing gears and starting over on finding the right pitch prop for the boat. Over the years most of the 26' with the AD41 have run the 1.95 with A3, A4 or A5 props. No reason to go away from what's been working for the fleet for so long.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Mike you hit it right on the head with the best explanation I've ever heard or read.

well I'm getting a new outdrive so if there is a time to change now is the time, my insurance is going to replace my broken gears so I ask what you experienced blackman guys would suggjest. Erik

I would suggest sticking with the 1.95s and A4s since yours is an older model with the original engine.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    I would suggest sticking with the 1.95s and A4s since yours is an older model with the original engine.
    After reading NoSlack's post, I also think the 1.95s and A4s is the best
    choice. I have a DP-E 1.78 and A4 for my KAD43, but the engine is rated at 225hp. Keep in mind I run a 26' Skippy...buddy of mine run 1.95 and A4 on
    his 41b rated at 200hp without any issues.

Btw, congrats on the new ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Wamei View Post
    After reading NoSlack's post, I also think the 1.95s and A4s is the best
    choice. I have a DP-E 1.78 and A4 for my KAD43, but the engine is rated at 225hp. Keep in mind I run a 26' Skippy...buddy of mine run 1.95 and A4 on
    his 41b rated at 200hp without any issues.

Btw, congrats on the new ride!
    I think your Skippy might be a little lighter than a Billfisher and I think your boat comes up on plane much easier; the KAD 43 has enough HP to pull those 1.78s and pick up the additional speed at a lower RPM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information