+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another outdrive

Default Another outdrive

Last trip I heard a strange noise and pull the the boat out to investigate. The noise is coming from within the drive. The oil looks great but I did have a small amount of metal shavings when I first pulled the plug. I'm going to do the tear down tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best but doesn't look good. I am going through a dive about every thousand hours and that's "NOT GOOD"

Default Ouch!

Joe,

Volvo recommends re-shimming the gears every 100 hrs. ; I was getting about 1500-1700 out of mine until I started re-shimming. After about 2000 I lost a seal and ran pure saltwater until she blew.

Default Out drive

I am in the same situation. Funny noise, Sounds like a bearing whine. Change oil black with light metal shavings. 1200 hrs and bingo blown drive. Joe like you I am going through them once every 2-3 seasons. No bueno. Found out the DPH drive is more bullet proof and is only $10,000. Lots of OT for one of them. Who is doing your re-builds. I am having Kozwell doing the present one, PM me and I will give you there scoop!!!!!! I also know someone who has a 1:86 re-built lower drive for sale that is a smokin deal!

Josh

every 100hrs. ouch. During tuna season that could be once a month. The Volvo Tec. in the area dose side work. He is going to do this one. We pulled it apart today and one of the pinion gears has about 6-7 teeth missing. He seems to think its from a harmonic problem. I am going to check the props, engine alignment, and rebuild the helmet and steering shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeygirl View Post
    every 100hrs. ouch. During tuna season that could be once a month. The Volvo Tec. in the area dose side work. He is going to do this one. We pulled it apart today and one of the pinion gears has about 6-7 teeth missing. He seems to think its from a harmonic problem. I am going to check the props, engine alignment, and rebuild the helmet and steering shaft.
    Sorry to hear Joe...I spent over $13k going over the drive, turbo, compressor, injectors and rebuilding the alternater early this season
    on my KAD43 so I can definitely feel your pain. Is your Volvo Tec interested
    in taking on additional side business? I sure would like to have his number if
    he is.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    Joe,

Volvo recommends re-shimming the gears every 100 hrs. ; I was getting about 1500-1700 out of mine until I started re-shimming. After about 2000 I lost a seal and ran pure saltwater until she blew.
    I think Jeff made a typo.......re-shimming at 1000 hours.
    If your buddy would like additional work, let me know. I have a spare DP I would like to get rebuilt, so I can just swap it when the time comes.......
    No hurry as I only have 550 hours on my "New" outdrive.

yep,1000 hrs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information