+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Day Trip to Jeronimo and Sacramento Reef Area

Default Six Day Trip to Jeronimo and Sacramento Reef Area

Saturday

We left San Diego at 3am Saturday morning on July 20 so we would be at Marina Coral to fuel up when they opened. It was a nice trip down and included juice, bacon eggs and lots of coffee. After we fueled up it was off to San Martin. Lunch for the day was sautéed bonito with a green salad. This set the lunch tone for the trip. Fish for lunch but it had to be a different fish and it had to be prepared differently. We caught the bonito just after clearing Todo Santo Islands and then caught a big humbolt that pounced on a black & purple jethead that was being moved along at 6 ½ knots. On our arrival at San Martin we were greeted by very green dirty 62.9° water. Since we were ready for some fishing time instead of boat riding and eating time we ignored the water conditions and started throwing lures for the next couple of hours. When we quit for the day and anchored up at 6pm our meager catch totaled 3 bonito, 1 squid, and 5 calicos. After a couple of cold Coronas and a dinner of baked ziti, salad & rolls we crashed for the evening.

Sunday

After coffee and a quick check to confirm that the water conditions were truly crummy we headed south to Jeronimo and Sacramento Reef and much improved water conditions and fishing. While they weren’t chewing the paint off the bottom of the boat we managed a mixed bag of fish that ate pretty much what ever variety and color of iron or plastic we chose to throw at them. We finished the day with 1 barracuda, 42 calicos, 8 reds, 4 johnny bass, 1 sheep head, 4 white fish, 6 bonito, and 14 miscellaneous. This was a much better day to discuss the catch over a dinner of steak, green salad & baked potato.

Monday

Back to Sacramento Reef after a late 7 am start and the Shogun was there. We are also greeted by a wide open bite. When it was over we had caught and released 1 barracuda, 187 calico bass, 64 reds, 3 bonito, 31 johnny bass 2 sheepshead, 15 whitefish and 17 miscellaneous. The yellowtail continued to be conspicuous by there absence.

Tuesday

After spending the night at Jeronimo we again returned to Sacramento reef for our final days fishing there. Other than we lightened up the tackle the day was similar to Monday with 1 barracuda, 133 Calicos, 48 Reds, 1 bonito, 18 johnnybass 4 lings, 6 whitefish and 24 miscellaneous. It was interesting that the reds and bigger Calicos were in the same area and depth and it was shallow enough that they could all be released.

Wednesday

We left Jeronimo at 2am and headed offshore. Other than a nice blufin in the morning and a couple of keeper dorado the day was filled with micro dorado and not much else. Some of the dorado were so small they couldn’t pop the release clip. Most of the mid day we had less than desirable water color but it improved considerably by the end of the day. At 7 pm we set the sea anchor at 30 45 / 117 10 and settled in for the evening. After dinner we had a show of small humbolts around the boat so we caught and cleaned 5 of them.

Thursday

After drifting 4 ½ miles during the night we continued northward without much action until about 10 am when a pick bite started that lasted most of the day. We finished up the day with 4 albacore, 10 YFT, 5 Dorado and 4 yellowtail. The largest of the albacore we felt weighted about 55 pounds. I have never seen one before that was within 15 pounds of this fish. At 6 pm we headed to Ensenada for the night.

Friday

Fueled the boat when Coral opened and headed north on a nice flat ocean and tied up at Harbor Island West at 1 pm. Total trip was 577 miles and we’re ready to go again on August 28
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Great report sounds like a lot of fun.

Very cool Yale.
    Sounds like a nice variety of fish this trip. The reds were eating the plastics and iron in shallow water? I love fishing that reef. I don't the calico fishing could be better anywhere.
    Tenacious

Wow what a trip Yale, sounds much more comfortable this time! Everything work OK on the boat, how much fuel for 577 nm?

The reds/calico fishing was a blast. They were both in 12 to 15 fathoms and each cast could produce one or the other and they were all releasable. We only had one floater and that was because we had trouble getting the hook out and he was up to long. The rest were either released or they ended up on the lunch menu.

My fuel burn was about 1.6 MPG and everything on the boat worked well although it seems I always come back with a punch list that has more to do. The improved comfort factor is very nice.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

1.6 is very nice; I'm only getting 2.5 with 6 less feet and short one engine! I bet the August trip will be awesome!

Jeff,

On the patron I got 2.1 if I ran when I could and 3.8 if I stayed basically at troll speed. If I boogie with the Riley (20 to 23 knots) I get about 1. the 1.6 had some boogie but a lot of trolling. The August trip will get some changes as that is WSB season down there. The plan right now is:

Day 1: Ensenada to fuel and then to
    San Martin
    Day 2: San Martin to the beach below
    San Quintin for WSB and whatever.
    Day 3: Another day on the beach
    Day 4: Sacramento Reef
    Day 5: Outside for some
    tuna/dorado/yellowtail action
    Day 6: Same as day 5 except to
    run to Ensenada at 5PM
    Day 7: Fuel in Ensenada and head home

Life is good!
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Yale,

They're getting a little WSB right now off SQ, I'm going to be watching the K&M Reports and when it goes off weather permitting I'm thinking about a 4 dayer in the Doghouse or trailering my 18 Bayrunner down there; they caught some pigs down there last summer!

Take the Blackman. Call the day before and see if they have fuel leave with enough to get to Ensenada fuel up on the way down and on the way back and you end in San Diego with a tank full of 2.50 diesel and perhaps some WSB. If your not going the same time I am I've got some containers for the deck.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Thanks, To the Limit Dan gave me 2-15 gal jugs which fit inside the fish hold quite nicely, he used them on his Mag Bay Trips.

How far is it to SQ from Ensenada and how long does it take ?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information