+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sixty Mile Bank Water Depth

Default Sixty Mile Bank Water Depth

What is the water depth at the high spot on the sixty mile bank. Apparently the sport boats were anchoring recently to catch bluefin. I am wondering how much anchor rode one would need to anchor out there? I believe the minimum is 5x the depth. Bill

Default 60 mile bank

I never found a spot less than 200 feet, but

I bet they are using 2-3 scope

Just a guess.

Phil

Default Make it a disposable anchor......

I don't think your windlass could pull that kind of weight

Thank you for the depth and winch consideration. Let's assume that the depth is 250 ft with a 3:1 scope for 750 ft. I have 60 ft of 5/16" chain which weights about 1 lb/ft = 60 lbs. The 1/2 nylon rope weights about 7.5 lb/100 ft = 56 lbs and the anchor 35 lbs. Total weight = 151 lbs. I got these numbers off the net and they may or may not be correct. My windlass is rated at 700 lb max pull and 175 typical load. I currently have 300 ft of rope, so if I bought another 500 ft, you think I may be able to get it down and possibly back up?

I am thinking that a sea anchor may be a better approach to fishing offshore banks for our smaller boats, but I didn't realize that folks were anchoring out at the 60 mile. What would you do if the bluefin were biting at the 60? billf

I am not sure about the 7.5lb/100ft...how much more will it weight wet and the additional drag pulling it through water and current...how much additional torque needed to pull the first few hundred feet? Not sure if I want to find out after having 750 ft. of rode in the water.

If they are biting at the 60; I will use the sea anchor. Load-up 3 scoops of bait and plenty of Tylenol and Ben Gay to make the ride home more comfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by Heron View Post
    Thank you for the depth and winch consideration. Let's assume that the depth is 250 ft with a 3:1 scope for 750 ft. I have 60 ft of 5/16" chain which weights about 1 lb/ft = 60 lbs. The 1/2 nylon rope weights about 7.5 lb/100 ft = 56 lbs and the anchor 35 lbs. Total weight = 151 lbs. I got these numbers off the net and they may or may not be correct. My windlass is rated at 700 lb max pull and 175 typical load. I currently have 300 ft of rope, so if I bought another 500 ft, you think I may be able to get it down and possibly back up?

I am thinking that a sea anchor may be a better approach to fishing offshore banks for our smaller boats, but I didn't realize that folks were anchoring out at the 60 mile. What would you do if the bluefin were biting at the 60? billf

Quote Originally Posted by Wamei View Post
    If they are biting at the 60; I will use the sea anchor. Load-up 3 scoops of bait and plenty of Tylenol and Ben Gay to make the ride home more comfortable!
    That is what I was thinking. I would also try a bait light at night. If you can get a nice bait ball going the big boys will be along soon.

On a side note, I have found if you start taking the Tylenol before you get on the water it makes the next week a whole lot more comfortable.

Default Anchoring at Tanner and Cortez

If you were reading the same post I read, they were saying anchoring at the Tanner and Cortez for Blue Fin, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Heron View Post
    What is the water depth at the high spot on the sixty mile bank. Apparently the sport boats were anchoring recently to catch bluefin. I am wondering how much anchor rode one would need to anchor out there? I believe the minimum is 5x the depth. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gagnon View Post
    If you were reading the same post I read, they were saying anchoring at the Tanner and Cortez for Blue Fin, I think.
    They were biting @ the Sixty as well; 15-25#

Yea, I appreciate the pain killer advise. I was coming back from the Hidden last week. The wind was about 20 and the swells 4-6. We took a pounding. Slowed down to 15. I really appreciated a Blackman on that ride home. Our autopilot was not working so it was manual steering out and back. I was thinking of something much stronger than tylenol. Everyone came home with lots of bruises.
    On Bloody Decks there were posts regarding anchor on 60 mile and there were others on Tanner. I almost went to the 60 last week instead of the hidden. We may have done better in hind sight, but I was not sure about anchoring. I was told there were about 12 sportboats out there on various days and they were all at anchor. It was windy that day and drifting was likely not a viable option. I am going to invest in a sock for next season and continue to gather information regarding the anchor option. Bill

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information