#0, Mexican waters
Posted by NoSlack on May-29-02 at 10:26 AM

There was a question asked on the AMS web site about Mexico's territorial waters and who that pertains to Fishing permits and US Customs.
This was my response:
I made a trip over to Semarnap (Mexican Dept. of Fisheries) to clarify their rules as they pertain to the waters of Mexico. They have 3 envelopes covering the coastline. The 12-mile zone is territorial waters (12 mile from any land) and US Customs would require us to check in if we enter that area. The 50-mile zone is for sport fishing only (no foreign commercial fishing). The last zone is the 200-mile economic zone.

You must have all your Mexican fishing permit all the way out to the 200-mile zone. Don’t think you are going to save a few bucks on permits by just staying out of the 12-mile zone. The only advantage of staying clear of the 12-mile zone is you may legally skip the U.S. Customs check.

The wat I see it, if I leave Mission Bay and set a cource for the 224, then turn south to the tuna ground I have skirted the outside edge of the 12 mile zone and don't have to check in on my return.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Mexican waters
Posted by Nomad on May-29-02 at 12:38 PM
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON May-29-02 AT 12:40 PM (PST)

Mike,
Regarding the 12 mile line, was that the Mexican perspective and do you think US customs will agree. I have found the whole customs thing to be a moving target. I called DFG and they told me all I needed to do was to send in the required form detailing the fish caught in Mex waters within 3 days. No need to stop or call. But that was DFG and customs may have a different opinion as well. Staying outside 12 miles will be a breeze when fishing Tuna, thats great news!
PS: Is there any relevance of the 12 mile zone to filleting fish in Mexican waters? It would be great to be able to legally fillet fish outside that zone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Mexican waters
Posted by NoSlack on May-29-02 at 01:56 PM
In response to message #1

All of the Mexican fishing regs apply form 0-200 miles out.
The DFG wants a Declaration form for your catch you bringing into the state. I fill out a form every trip, if they don't meet me at the dock to pick it up, I just file it when I get home.

US Customs is telling people that you only need to check in if you enter the 12 mile zone.

Mike

#3, RE: Mexican waters
Posted by Nomad on May-29-02 at 02:20 PM
In response to message #2

OK Mike, thanks for the tip. Will make things much less complicated when staying outside the 12 mi zone.