+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water pump woes

Default Water pump woes

Hola fellas,

Haven't posted in a while and wouldn't ya know it, my first post is a plea for help. Haven't started Tenacious in about a month. Engines don't like that ya know. Hooked up the garden hose to the OD, turned it on, turned the key and she started right up with a little puff of smoke. Old reliable! Unfortanely the water pump did not appear to be doing it's thing as water was not coming out of the exhaust. Tried priming it several times and repositioning the mickey mouse ears with no joy. I witnissed the shaft from fuel pump to water pump was turning. I opened the cover of the water pump to observe that the impellar appears to be in good shape. My next item to look at will be to pull the impellar out to inspect the inner diameter of the impellar. Has any of you ever had the inner sleeve of an impellar get worn so that the shaft is spinning but, the rest of the impellar is not? Any other ideas?

Scott
    Tenacious

No I haven't but don't get too excited as sometimes it's fairly difficult to get the water flowing from the rabbit ears. You need to plug the bottom pick up hole in the drive and turn the water valve up pretty high and maybe prop up the rubber exhaust flapper to get the water moving through the system and sometimes it will all work out. Sometimes coming off the trailer into the water the first time I had to crack the strainer lid to remove the air lock pressure so the water would flow
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 12-29-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Jeff,

Yup, I plugged the hole in the bottom. I'll try again taking the additional steps you have recommended.

I gotta get the boat/trailer maintenance done in time for the big winter YT bite on the yoyo. Please tell me it hasn't come and gone.

Thanks much,
    Scott
    Tenacious

Scott

Take the lid off the basket strainer and pre fill it with water. My pump is so old it won't prime unless I do that every trip.

I'll let ya know tomorrow if the winter bite is on.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Hi Mike,

Yup, tried that. Of course I'll try again this weekend. With work and short days it's haredr to get anything done on the boat on weekdays. Good luck out there. While driving into work this AM, I saw what looked like a squid boat anchored off of PT Loma about 1/4 mile outside of the kelp with lights on. Hmmm, are they here yet?
    Tenacious

I didn't see any signs off La Jolla Tuesday morning.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Scott,

That happened to a friend of mine. The inner sleeve spun freely but the impeller wouldn't move. He replaced the impeller and the problem was solved. ZMAN

Thanks ZMAN,

Good to hear that it does happen. That will be my first thing to check this weekend.
    Tenacious

Thanks all. After pulling the impellar and examining it a little better it was a little worn. That and the fact that the cover plate was also a little worn may have been the problem/s. I replaced the impellar and sanded the cover plate flat and she works good as new.

Now I just have to replace my two rear hub assemblies on the trailer and I'm off to the races to compete in the BOCA tournament.
    Tenacious

Boats, if it ain't one thing it another. Scott, looking for a couple of days at Colonette. That would be a good way to test out the water pump out and add some big sebastes to your count.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information