+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water pump woes

Yale,

That sounds like "exactly what the doctored". I need to get a way for a short trip like that. What time frame are ya thinking? How long? Early March or later would probably work for me.
    Tenacious

I’m pretty much open. It’s about 130 miles down there. To get in day and a half fishing I’d run all night to get there in the am, fish all day, lay up for the night fish for a while in the morning and then pound back up the line. Of course a 2 ½ dayer is even better.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

If I can I'd like to tag along

Yale/Jeff,

I will start planning for this trip. I'd like to have at least 2 full days to fish the area. Shall we meet at Point Loma Seafood and discuss it over lunch one day this week?

I guess we can go PM's from here on out?
    Tenacious

Lunch is fine. I've only got Wed, Thurs & Fri open this week. Let me know.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Sounds like you got lucky on the pump Scott. If it happens again, look at the seal behind the impeller.

Here are a few picture of when "Good Pumps go Bad" (my current status). The seal spacer(white piece) broke last week and let the seal get sideways. Water got past the seal and toasted the bearing and on the last engine flush of the week the seal was so bad the pump was sucking air and and wouldn't prime. That caused the impeller to burn up. Good thing I have a full set of spare parts in the garage.

Broken parts

toasted bearings and broken seal spacer

Full set of spare parts

I have everything to put it back together and order parts to build up a full spare. The seal is $40, so I took the old one down to Kaman(bearing and seal vender) to see what they could do for me. They ordered me a double lip seal for $8. The extra $32 bucks Volvo charges must cover the fancy bag it comes in. I'll have both seals in my hand by the end of the week and will install the better one. I'm betting it's going to be the $8 part.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Let me know how the rebuild goes mike, I have an extra pump in the garage. The Volvo shop told me to replace it vs. rebuild when it started leaking last season. They are not cheap!!! I would like to have an extra to keep on the boat. I replace my impeller every 200hrs no matter what. And oh YA the Boats done and back on the water. Weekend report to come. There’s a lot less lobster at Catalina know.

It's nothing new for me to rebuild the pump. It's happened more than once with 4500 hours on a 27 year old engine. I'm just waiting for the other seal to show up before I stick it back in the boat. The pump case is the only part I don't have two of. I can pick up a spare case for $270 and build up a second pump that I won't need for another 8 or 10 years. By then I should break down and treat my baby right by giving her a new engine.

I hate paying Volvo prices for something they buy, paint green and stick in a blue and white box. With a little leg work you can usually find out who makes it and if they upgraded the part sometime over the past quarter centry.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Quote Originally Posted by Honeygirl View Post
    Let me know how the rebuild goes mike, I have an extra pump in the garage. The Volvo shop told me to replace it vs. rebuild when it started leaking last season. They are not cheap!!! I would like to have an extra to keep on the boat. I replace my impeller every 200hrs no matter what. And oh YA the Boats done and back on the water. Weekend report to come. There’s a lot less lobster at Catalina know.
    Good to hear the boat is done Joe! Share some pics with us...
    If you see a 26' Skippy following you around this weekend, just share
    the numbers and the mrs. and I will leave you alone LOL. On the serious
    note, the mrs. and I will be at the island Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully
    we bump into you.

The Volvo pump is actually a Johnson pump; which are much cheaper and easier to find.

Scott & Yale - Today & Friday are my only lunch days this week
    If today 619 840 0633 cell

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information