+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAMD40A - Engines or Parts F/S

Default TAMD40A - Engines or Parts F/S

I finished repowering my 28 Topaz (50-50) and now want to get the old engines out of my garage.

F/S

I have two TAMD40A engines only for sale. Rated at 148 Hp for Inboard, 155 for Sterndrive.

Engine no 1. In running condition. Previous owner (Troy) said it had 3500 hours. I can't verify this as the hour meter said 251. I have performed the following to this engine in the last 3 years. $3500 OBO

1. Rebuilt the injection pump 2 years ago.
    2. Rebuilt all 6 injectors 2 years ago.
    3. Installed new glow plugs to replace those that did not work 3 years ago. I think 4 of them were replaced.
    4. Installed new seawater pump 2 years ago. Installed new impeller 2 months ago.
    5. Had local mechanic clean the freshwater side of the cooling system using the Volvo solution and install new coolant (2 months ago).
    6. Installed new exhaust elbow 2 years ago.
    7. Cleaned the seawater side of the cooling system 1 year ago.
    8. Installed new primary fuel filter and lift pump 3 years ago.
    9. Previous owner said he had the turbo rebuilt. No paperwork to prove this but the engine made no black smoke. The turbo spins freely.
    10. Installed new radiator cap 2 years ago.1
    11. I had a local certified Volvo mechanic remove the head to remove a part of a glow plug that broke off in a pre-combustion chamber 2 years ago. There are no coolant leaks.

This engine ran 175 degrees according to the Volvo gauges and reached 3600 RPMs at WOT. I ran it at 3000 RPMS.

Engine no 2. In running condition but recently had a problem where there was a loud bang and it shut down. A lot of oil was in the bilge. I added oil and restarted the engine. It runs and has oil pressure but there it idles unsteadily and puts out white smoke through the exhaust and breather. It might have dropped a pre-cup. I do not know exactly what is wrong with the engine. It might be minor or might be big. Feel free to bring a mechanic with you for inspection. It did not overheat. There are no coolant leaks.

Previous owner said it had 3500 hours. I can't verify this as the hour meter said 251. I have performed the following to this engine in the last 3 years. $1500.00 OBO

1. Previous owner rebuilt the injection pump. Not sure when but it has been rebuilt.
    2. Rebuilt all 6 injectors 2 years ago.
    3. Installed new glow plugs to replace those that did not work 3 years ago. 4 were replaced. One is now inoperable. I broke it while removing it.
    4. Installed new seawater pump 2 years ago. Installed new impeller 2 months ago.
    5. Had local mechanic clean the freshwater side of the cooling system using the Volvo solution and install new coolant (2 months ago).
    6. Installed new exhaust elbow in the last years.
    7. Cleaned the seawater side of the cooling system 1 year ago.
    8. Installed new primary fuel filter and lift pump 3 years ago.
    9. Previous owner said he had the turbo rebuilt. No paperwork to prove this but the engine made no black smoke. The turbo spins freely.
    10. Installed new radiator cap 2 years ago.1

This engine ran 180 degrees according to the Volvo gauges and reached 3600 RPMs at WOT. I ran it at 3000 RPMS.

There are many new parts on these engines that could be of use to someone who has them. I am willing to sell either one or both of them. I will be removing them within the next month. I can run them for you.

These engines are bobtail. Each engine comes with a wiring harnesses and gauge panel. I had to cut three of the four harnesses to remove them from the boat but I cut them in a spot where they will not be in the bilge and can be spliced back together.

Located in Irvine, stored since November 2008 in the garage. No reasonable offer refused. I want to move these engines.

Bill Waters
    949-857-8551

Bill I forgot what you repowered with. And I think the HP ratings are higher for the inboard version, the outdrives consumes about 8% measured at the propshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    Bill I forgot what you repowered with. And I think the HP ratings are higher for the inboard version, the outdrives consumes about 8% measured at the propshaft.
    I have a one page product bulletin for the TAMD40A that lists propeller output at 148 with MS3B gears although I have been told by other people the 'A' and 'B' engines both put out 165 hp.

I'm not sure at this point. I do know the pre-cups on this engine are smaller than on the 'B' so I think it made less HP due to less fuel being sent to the engine.

I just installed TAMD41B engines in the boat. I still have a few small issues that I'm dealing with but it is much faster now.

Thank you for the info.

Bill

Much Faster now? You'll need a Pilot's License to drive from the tower! I've been cruising 24.5 Knots @3400 up in the Lively One Tower in the lee of Catalina

Hey Bill, you might want to PM a BD member "Piperca". He has a 28' Skippy with blown motors. He has been in the market for a couple diesel motors
    to replace his gasser.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    Much Faster now? You'll need a Pilot's License to drive from the tower! I've been cruising 24.5 Knots @3400 up in the Lively One Tower in the lee of Catalina
    Mine wasn't as fast as the Lively One with the 40A engines but it might be close now. I saw 29 kts during a quick WOT test.

I don't have Volvo alternators. I'm still trying to get the Prestolite's dialed in. I had to make a -9% adjustment on the Volvo tachs to compensate. I'll phototach them tomorrow to see if they are more accurate.

I can't imagine being in the tower at 24 kts if the seas are up but in flat water it might be fun. I'll be driving down for the MB Awards ceremony next weekend. Maybe I'll see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wamei View Post
    Hey Bill, you might want to PM a BD member "Piperca". He has a 28' Skippy with blown motors. He has been in the market for a couple diesel motors
    to replace his gasser.
    Wamei,

I'll try to locate him. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

Bill, are you able to use the same gauges with the new engines or will you be selling those, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by iclypso View Post
    Bill, are you able to use the same gauges with the new engines or will you be selling those, as well?
    I bought new panels and wiring harnesses. Each engine comes with the panel and wiring harness, that is if I sell the complete engine. I haven't had much success in finding a buyer so far. I'm going to try E-bay next week and see if I can get rid of them without taking them apart. If that fails I'll start parting them out. I'll sell a panel if you need one at that time.

I am going to try to sell each major system complete. The fuel system will include the lift pump, engine mounted filter bracket, injection pump, injectors, pipes and all other small parts. The raw water system will include all pipes and raw water pump. The exhaust will include the manifold, turbo, air cleaner and elbow. I'll sell the coolers separate.

What do you guys think of that idea?

Thanks

bill

I hope someone comes along that needs the whole thing. If it comes down to parting them out, put me down for a couple hundred pounds of stuff.

My short list would include a sea water pump and heat exchanger. I know how hard those glow plugs are to get, so a couple of those would be nice too.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information