+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coronado Islands & South 9 Codding

Default Coronado Islands & South 9 Codding

Time Out Russ and I met @ Seaforth for an early morning breakfast then we picked up a half scoop of sardines, maybe 8 or so mackeral off the jetty, and with a couple of live squid left over from La Jolla we headed down the coast towards North Island where I had some numbers from another Blackman Friend where he has had success on large reds on a few of his trips; we arrived around 8AM looking in about 425 feet finding small ledges and peaks with fish on them. I found a particular spot with a good number of reds suspended about 15-20 feet above the bottom; my first drop I didn't make it to the bottom as a nice 3-4#red grabbed one of the 2 hooks and I didn't wait for the other one.Russ didn't get bit at first but soon after he got bit and reeled in a nice Green Striped rockfish. We baited up and moved back up to the spot which I couldn't quite get exactly back onto for some unknown reason; the wind and current kept shifting. This time Russ caught the biggest red of the day well over 4# and I caught a decent Bank Perch. The third pass in the zone we both caught nice reds and one of Russ's fish came off on the way up. It looked promising but from then on we never had 2 nice reds on at the same time; we mostly caught the green stripes, bank perch, and every other pass we caught another red. We ended up the day keeping 8 nice reds from 3-4.5 lbs; 3 Bank perch to 2.5, 5 green stripes, 1 nice 2# Barberpole, a nice 8# ling off the south end of the 9 and 3 salmon grouper to 3#. It was a great relaxing day, never wide open but a great escape from everyday life. Back in the slip by 315PM , after washing the boat we were on the road home by 430. Thanks Russ!

Sounds Good Jeff,
    I guess you'll be eating some nice fish tacos this week.

I hope to get out within the week.
    Tenacious

sounds like a hell of a trip. We need to get you up to the island and put a seabass on that boat. Joe

Thumbs up

Ok Joe,

I'm dying to get up there and take advantage of your expertise and maybe learn a few things about fishing the islands. If you'll put up with me I'd like to tag along on one of your upcoming WSB trips.

This weekend is no good fo me but, after that I will drop any commitments and meet you at CAT onboard Tenacious. I guess I will need a little run down on what I should bring in the way of lights and nets (for squid). I currently have one of those submersible lights which I purchased from Pacific Edge. It seems bright enough? I've had a few squid come up in it but, never anything full speed. The limited success I've had catching the small squid was when I just reached over the side with my small bait net and scooped a couple up. Oh, ya, I once caught some beautiful 12" squid but, they were easy as I just cut them out of the belly of some albacores. They tasted great and worked great for bait. Even resulted in a nice WSB for me.

Maybe if you can give me at least a 3 day notice, I can be ready.

I think that your offer was for Jeff (Doghouse) but I jumped on it anyway. Besides, Jeff doesn't need to catch WSB. He's really a marlin guy.

Thanks again,
    Scott
    Tenacious

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information