+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackman Boats @ Fred Hall Show

Good Luck, you missed it by about 3 weeks!

But there's a newer Billfisher in W.O.N. with 28 hours asking 155K
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 03-24-2009 at 11:38 AM.

They won't be at the FHS in San Diego???

Bummer, I just checked the exhibitors list and didn't see them on it...

At least Davis will be there. Strange that they would do the Long Beach but not the San Diego show.
    Last edited by brian_g; 03-25-2009 at 10:12 AM.

It costs a ton of money to get a booth at the FHS for 5 days and if you were going to shoot your advertising wad it's best to spend it where you get at least 2-3 times the attendance than in SD.

The Davis boats are excellant and very well built the only drawback is no flush decks, you have to walk around an engine cover which eliminates one angler.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_g View Post
    They won't be at the FHS in San Diego???

Bummer, I just checked the exhibitors list and didn't see them on it...

At least Davis will be there. Strange that they would do the Long Beach but not the San Diego show.

And there a RADON hull!! Me personally I hate the way they ride. They were made to be a commercial sea urchin a boat, weighted way down to go down swell.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    It costs a ton of money to get a booth at the FHS for 5 days and if you were going to shoot your advertising wad it's best to spend it where you get at least 2-3 times the attendance than in SD.
    That makes sense. Bummer for me though

Quote Originally Posted by Honeygirl View Post
    And there a RADON hull!! Me personally I hate the way they ride. They were made to be a commercial sea urchin a boat, weighted way down to go down swell.
    I've never rode in one, I did spend alot of time looking at them for a friend of mine at the FHS-LB . They don't have as much room in their PH as you do Joe, but they're only 25' long; I didn't look at the 28'. The inside seems narrower. They did have a very nice fit and finish.

I've never rode in one, I did spend alot of time looking at them for a friend of mine at the FHS-LB . They don't have as much room in their PH as you do Joe, but they're only 25' long; I didn't look at the 28'. The inside seems narrower. They did have a very nice fit and finish.
    The pilothouse does feel more confined in the Davis (compared to the Outerbanks). I noticed that as well. With the ability to make a flush cockpit (e.g. Blackman, Skipjack) why does Davis have the raised engine compartment? Sea Sport does the same thing!?!?

Seems like a no-brainer to go for the flush cockpit design, but I don't make boats so there is obviously something I'm missing.

Davis did not have their pilot house models at the S.D. FHS. They had 2 of the Bahias. No Blackman, No Skipjack....

Parker did have a 32ft pilothouse that was massive!

So the boat action was a slight let down, but still managed to pick up a few deals on blanks, share corn dogs and beer with my Dad, and buy my yearly SCDAC t-shirts. Great show!

BTW, there was an awesome saltwater tank with Calicos, Sandies, a Lingcod, and two MASSIVE Lobster. If I was a rock star or a Colombian drug lord I would have something like that in my house.

Good Luck, you missed it by about 3 weeks!

But there's a newer Billfisher in W.O.N. with 28 hours asking 155K
    I think it's on craigslist now as well (if it's the same boat)

Quote Originally Posted by brian_g View Post
    The pilothouse does feel more confined in the Davis (compared to the Outerbanks). I noticed that as well. With the ability to make a flush cockpit (e.g. Blackman, Skipjack) why does Davis have the raised engine compartment? Sea Sport does the same thing!?!?

Seems like a no-brainer to go for the flush cockpit design, but I don't make boats so there is obviously something I'm missing.
    There is a disadvantage to having a flush deck on the 26. The flush deck results in a higher center of gravity, the result being the terrible down swell ride of the Blackman 26. I personally would opt for the engine box for this reason.

I've ridden on a Radon 26 and on a Blackman 26. The Radon 26 I rode is a flush deck boat. The Radon hull is not as good in a head sea as it tends to crush the waves as opposed to slice through them. Down swell, there's no comparison as the Radon has got it all over the Blackman. Frankly, the Blackman ride down swell is downright scary and represents a huge design flaw. Why people are willing to pay so much for such a flawed boat escapes me. They should have redesigned this boat long ago to address this deficiency.

I won't question the construction quality of the Blackman as they do hold up well. My Blackman 20 is a 1983 model with diesel I/O and is holding up well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information