+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "U-Joint" Bellows

Default "U-Joint" Bellows

Noticed mine in bad. Is this is difficult job? I am pretty mechanical and have a garage full of tools. Maybe I just need to jump in head first???

Thanks

Mike

You need to pull the upper gear box off the outdrive or pull the whole drive off the boat to change that bellows. Definitely not a 5 minute job, but it can be done at home with a minimal amount of tools.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    You need to pull the upper gear box off the outdrive or pull the whole drive off the boat to change that bellows. Definitely not a 5 minute job, but it can be done at home with a minimal amount of tools.

Mike

OK, I am diving in head first. Hopefully I can just remove the upper gear box. The outdrive was replaced by Yale and has very few hours. Any last minute tips?????

Mike

Drain some oil out, a quart should be enough. You need to remove the helmet nut and roll the helmet up out of the way. Take the shift cover off and remove the two bolts holding the aft end of the gear box and the two 9/16 nuts off the sides. Once you get those four hold down bolts/nuts off and loosen the aft hose clamp for that bellows, the upper gear box should lift off.

When you go back together, hold the gear box in one hand and the U-joint spline shaft with the other. You need to the reach inside the bellows and guild the spline shaft on the engine stub shaft. This is the hardest part of the job, working blind to mate the shaft and spline back together. Once it mates, set the upper gear box back in place, you may need to rotate the prop to get things to line up.

Between the upper gear box and intermediate housing you will have a couple shim rings on the bearing. They should stay in the hole of the intermediate housing but you need to keep an eye out for them and make sure they go back in the hole before you re-assemble.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    Drain some oil out, a quart should be enough. You need to remove the helmet nut and roll the helmet up out of the way. Take the shift cover off and remove the two bolts holding the aft end of the gear box and the two 9/16 nuts off the sides. Once you get those four hold down bolts/nuts off and loosen the aft hose clamp for that bellows, the upper gear box should lift off.

When you go back together, hold the gear box in one hand and the U-joint spline shaft with the other. You need to the reach inside the bellows and guild the spline shaft on the engine stub shaft. This is the hardest part of the job, working blind to mate the shaft and spline back together. Once it mates, set the upper gear box back in place, you may need to rotate the prop to get things to line up.

Between the upper gear box and intermediate housing you will have a couple shim rings on the bearing. They should stay in the hole of the intermediate housing but you need to keep an eye out for them and make sure they go back in the hole before you re-assemble.

Mike
    Thanks Mike:

I removed the two bolts from the helmet nut does it spin off? threaded? everthing else is good.

If your helmet nut has two more holes in it, use a 1/4-20 bolt in them as jacking screws. If it only has the two hole you took the bolts out of, I jam a couple allan wrenches in the hole and rock the nut back and forth to work it out.

Mike

Man,

You cannot get that kind of good mechanical advise anywhere (except here with Mike).
    Tenacious

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
    Thanks Mike:

I removed the two bolts from the helmet nut does it spin off? threaded? everthing else is good.

U-Joints are a rusty mess will not slide off. Now What!!!!!!!

Imagine the U Joints as your girlfriend who just hinted she was pregnant. Since you're married, go to the workbench and get a hammer, you know what you have to do!

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    Imagine the U Joints as your girlfriend who just hinted she was pregnant. Since you're married, go to the workbench and get a hammer, you know what you have to do!
    Beat those things like a red-headed step-child. No luck. tomorrow bring on the heat. should just slide off correct?? All I see is dollar bills in my head.

mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information