+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "U-Joint" Bellows

Default u-joint

I had the same problem.
    I removed the entire shaft.
    Cut the bellows off.
    There is a snap ring inside that holds the bearing and two plastic shims/retainers. If you get the snap ring off (about 1 1/2 to 2") the shaft should pull out IIRC. My bearing was also bad from the water leaking in the bellows. I could not find an exploded view. It was still hard to get the shaft off the u-joint.

Phil

Default "U-Joints"

I had to heat them up with a torch and finally it slid off. Soaked the u-joints in liquid wrench and beat the bejeezus out of them. Had to take the die-grinder with a cut off wheel to remove them. I will now check them anually when I change the drive oil.

Mike

I have my bellow replaced and u joint checked every year .

Default U-Joints

The Volvo dealer tells me to be sure and lube the primary shaft thru the zerk fitting on the bellhousing. I found the zerk on top that lubes the helmut shield, is there another on a DP-E ???? Says the bearing on the primary shaft is more than likely shot due to the fact I had to heat up the U-Joints to remove them. It's all back together, but I can remove it now that I've done it before. Thanks for all the input, you were right, it's not that big of a deal. I will now include this in my yearly maintenance check.

Mike

Default U-joints and bellows

Mike,

I am right behind you with the need to change out the bellows and u-joint on my outdrive. I've been following your progress and was wondering were you got your U-joint and bellows parts from.

Thanks in advance, Zack

Default Parts

Zack:

I went with www.marinepartsexpress.com to get my volvo parts. They seemed to be the cheapest around. Mike aka "No Slack" listed the Napa part # for the U-joints, Part # 210-1306.. I went with genuine volvo 5 times the price however.
    good luck, it's really not that big of a job.

Mike
    Last edited by Mac Attack; 04-01-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: part #

Default Bearing zerk fitting

I do think you need to change the bearing!

I cannot say for sure about the DP-E, I have a DP-D1 and it does NOT have a zerk fitting, they changed the bearing to a sealed bearing. It was a "6206 2RS" IIRC.
    As I stated in a previous post, I had to replace mine because of a bellows leak. It’s pretty easy once you get the drive off. There is an external snap ring that holds a plastic spacer, then the bearing. IIRC,there was an internal snap ring that held the bearing on the shaft.

I would dry lube or anti-seize the shaft splines (both ends).

Hope this helps

Default U-joints and bellows

Thanks mike,

I installed a new 290 dp in my last boat but have not changed the u-joints before. Do I need to remove the entire drive or can I just pull the upper unit off and if so, will I need to replace any seals between the upper and lower unit.

Thanks, Zack

Default U Joints

I removed the uppper gear box. There are a couple of O-Rings that I replaced. Did not look like they needed to be but I chaged them out.

Volvo part # 925259 1ea.

" " #125017 2ea.

This is for my DP-E

Mike

Default u-joints and bellows

Thanks Mike,

It sounds pretty straight forward. I do have a few more questions and was wondering if you could call me or if you could email me your phone number. I want to make sure I don't screw this thing up as these outdrives can get expensive.

Thanks, Zack 805-302-3330

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information