+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Direct Drive and I/O

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    What he said. Its all about maintenance, reliability and manuverability.
    I agree. We had been looking at the Longfin a while back and felt like the direct drive was a deal-breaker. That was in our infancy as far as boat shopping though, and I think the direct dive is sounding like a better alternative (keeping in mind the manuverability characteristics).

The search continues.

Thank you very much for all your opinions/advice.

The problem with the inboard is the loss of the big fish hold .And overall below deck storage we use the fish hold for gear when we go to catalina.
    Also it puts the bait tank too close to the stearn I belive the i/o has a better overall layout.

I agree with Rob the problem with the indoard is the loss of the fish hold
    I have an inboard its a little slower than the outdrive version the big advantage is lower cost if the boat is kept in the water. if you are going to use a trailer than outdrive is the way to go.

Just my opion

Russ

One more thing, those single screw direct drive Blackmans get marlin bit like no other! It's a very clean wake @ trolling speed and Russ loses more jigs in one day than I do in a season! His boat gets attacked! I agree slip = shaft and Trailer = outdrive; the bow thruster is the way to go!

Thanks Jeff

I think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
    Thanks Jeff

I think ?
    Russ, we'll revisit that knot tying seminar once again after you get some time off that high stress job of yours!

Still haven't heard from Dan.

I will jump back into this. The inboard does get bit very well. I troll at 1400 rpm, 7.2 kts. Very clean wake. I run the lures on waves 2,3,4,5. fuel use is less than 1 GPH. The fuel curve starts at 1600 RPM and 1 GPH. A dock neighbor in DP has a direct drive boat and he had Tony Grayshock at FBU put in a bow thruster for $5,000. He can move the boat any where he wants, wind and current is no problem. Steve mentioned that that new Express he built recently had a thruster and the owner backed in the slip. As far as the fish box goes. I have it on my Express. The bait tank is not too far back. Remember the motor is foward, so you need some weight in the rear.
    Bob

I’ll weigh in here. I have a direct drive on my Outerbanks (Laura Mei). Yanmar 6lp - 315hp. Wake is very clean and last summer boat got bit trolling while others close by didn’t seem too. Not very scientific evidence - we will see how it goes this season. I keep her in the water and in my opinion direct drive is the only way to go if you keep it in a slip - basically no maintenance. With and I/O keeping up with prevention of corrosion and biofouling is a pain in the ass. Downside = not as fast as I/O but with new Yanmar I can do 27 knots which is much faster than you can safely go 98% of the time anyway so that really does not matter …cruise mostly at 17-18 knots. Maneuverability is not great in tight quarters but I am getting better…just have to learn to compensate for the significant pull to port when backing -- with a bow thruster it would be a piece of cake.
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Mei View Post
    I’ll weigh in here. I have a direct drive on my Outerbanks (Laura Mei). Yanmar 6lp - 315hp. Wake is very clean and last summer boat got bit trolling while others close by didn’t seem too. Not very scientific evidence - we will see how it goes this season. I keep her in the water and in my opinion direct drive is the only way to go if you keep it in a slip - basically no maintenance. With and I/O keeping up with prevention of corrosion and biofouling is a pain in the ass. Downside = not as fast as I/O but with new Yanmar I can do 27 knots which is much faster than you can safely go 98% of the time anyway so that really does not matter …cruise mostly at 17-18 knots. Maneuverability is not great in tight quarters but I am getting better…just have to learn to compensate for the significant pull to port when backing -- with a bow thruster it would be a piece of cake.
    Charley
    BTW,
    Awesome Outerbanks Charley!
    I have seen the pictures on your research website.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_g View Post
    BTW,
    Awesome Outerbanks Charley!
    I have seen the pictures on your research website.
    Thanks Brian -- I have spent a lot of time (and $$) bringing her up better than new condition. Good luck fishing this season.
    Charley

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information