+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct Drive and I/O

Default Direct Drive and I/O

What are the advantages of Direct Drive or I/O?

I have noticed that direct drive boats seem to have better fuel economy when compared to I/O, but I have been told that the I/O makes close quarter maneuvering easier.

Also, would the savings on not having the outboard (on a direct drive) be substantial regarding upkeep?

Been looking for a Blackman for a VERY long time, and my Dad and I are trying to figure out if our aversion to direct drive is silly as we are looking for an Outerbanks and that package seems to be pretty common.

I can weigh in on the direct drive issue. I have owned one for 9 years. I have a 1987 express. I pulled out the Volvo 41A and installed a Yanmar 240. The direct drive boats are a little slower if you have the 200 hp Volvo. You will see 15 to 16 knots. The direct drive requirs less maintenance: annual oil change, service the shaft packing as needed, shaft zinc as needed, a better drive if you will slip the boat. Close quarters steering can be dicey if you are not familier with which way the boat goes in reverse. Most go to port in reverse, so a right turn into a slip is the only way. The same goes for tight spots such as getting fuel in Avalon. Watch the wind and current and do not put yourself in a position in which you need to go to starboard, it won't happen. Once you learn it, no problem. Direct drive has anice clean wake for trolling. I can troll my short Marlin lure on the second wake and get bit.
    Good luck.
    Bob

Thanks for the opinion Bob. The speed factor is really not an issue for us (we are not in any hurry). Maneuverability is pretty important though... The boat we have now is OB, so switching to direct drive characteristics would probably involve a steep initial learning curve

Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_g View Post
    What are the advantages of Direct Drive or I/O?

I have noticed that direct drive boats seem to have better fuel economy when compared to I/O,
    Is this true?
    I was told that I/O get better economy at the same speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Knot Now View Post
    Is this true?
    I was told that I/O get better economy at the same speed.
    Phil,
    At the SD Fred Hall Show I was looking at the Shamrocks and was told that the direct drive was much better on fuel economy. I didn't think to ask about specifics such as "same speed comparison". That's a good point.

-Brian

The O/D should be faster and more fuel efficient due to the angle of the props. The shaft model saves on maintenance costs. I get 18 kts with the 240 Yanmar fully loaded and 20 kts when light. I have a 1.5 gear ratio and a small prop to gte the rpms correct. Russ has the same engine, but a 2:1 gear and he turns more pitch, so more speed. I get 2.3 MPG in a combo of cruise and trolling. Straight 8 kt trolling gets 7 MPG.

Bob

I had previously owned 2 Shamrocks..a 20' cc for 1k hours and a 22' w/a for 1.5k hours and they are gas hogs. I love the keel, that it's additional surface area to drag. I would burn between 100-115 gallons of gas fishing the 390 and the 295 launching out of SI. She only hold 100 gallons so I have to strap fuel on the bow.

I/O are more efficient and burn less fuel. I was shocked at how little my gas 25' Skippy was sucking fuel vs. the 22' Shamrock.

I own a 26' Skippy now with the Volvo KAD43 with DP legs and I am getting the 1k hour itch...I have looked at the 26' Outerbank for awhile now...some
    of the members on this board was kind enough offer me a chance to look at
    theirs.

Inboard is my drive of choice. My next boat will be an inboard. Then again I only cruise at 18 knots on all my boats the last 8-10k hours. However others
    are more happy cruising at 24-30 knots.

I have driven both the 26 and the 27 foot Shamrock Macks and the 28' Albin; all are direct drives and I can honestly say I can dock them better than my 26' Skippy.

Good luck with your search...I saw 2 Outerbanks at Cat over the weekend.
    One of blew by between 25-30 knots as she rounded the Island so I can only guess it's the same one that does damage to our Cat. WSB fishery (a compliment btw).

Good luck with your search!

Thanks Wamei. When are you going to come out and fish with me? It's getting good!!!

As far as the inboard Vs I\O. I have an outerbanks with a kad300. I cruise between 22 and 26 knots and top out at 31knots (Light in flat seas). She gets 2.0-2.75gpm depending on weight and seas. I keep the boat in the water and put 700+ hours a year on her. Bottom line is the maintenance sucks! My next boat will be an inboard I feel they are bullet proof and require way less maintenance, but my next boat will also have twins. If you have a single inboard, a bow thruster is the way to go.

[QUOTE=Honeygirl;8005]Thanks Wamei. When are you going to come out and fish with me? It's getting good!!!

Anytime you have a spot for me Joe. I am available from Friday night
    to Sunday evenning. Week days are tough for me to get out.

I will be at Cat this Friday afternoon to Monday afternoon. Other than
    that, just say when and I will be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Honeygirl View Post
    Thanks Wamei. When are you going to come out and fish with me? It's getting good!!!

As far as the inboard Vs I\O. I have an outerbanks with a kad300. I cruise between 22 and 26 knots and top out at 31knots (Light in flat seas). She gets 2.0-2.75gpm depending on weight and seas. I keep the boat in the water and put 700+ hours a year on her. Bottom line is the maintenance sucks! My next boat will be an inboard I feel they are bullet proof and require way less maintenance, but my next boat will also have twins. If you have a single inboard, a bow thruster is the way to go.

What he said. Its all about maintenance, reliability and manuverability.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information