+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting a new turbo, more power?

Default I'm getting a new turbo, more power?

I had a crack in the exhaust side, the fins had been hitting and scarred the shaft. I asked what would cause this he said, poor maintenance or shutting down after ahard run with out letting it cool. Or maybe just old, the motor was said to have 850 hours on it when I got it a year ago, and i may have put 100 hours in it, he said that was pretty low hours for this to go out. So maybe just a bad turbo? But he said this new turbo is more powerful and if i would like we could tweak the fuel pump and put out another 20 or 30 hp. had anyone tried this with a Ad41? any thoughts or experiences good or bad. Thanks Erik

How did you know it was bad to begin with? How did you know it was cracked? Did you see the crack? My 2004 Blackman has 2300 hours on it and I have never touched the turbo its self. Replaced the elbow and turbo gaskets at 1500 hours. What maintenance is he talking about? Thanks Joe

I took the boat down to the marina to run it and get the oil hot for a oil change, I only could hit 2000 rpms, no power turned around and back at the dock my compressor fins wouldn't spin. I took the turbo to a shop and they diagnosed the problem I went to the shop on monday and visualized the crack and could see where the fins had been rubbing, as well as the shaft was starting to groove. He said poor maintenance (oil changes) typically leads to this, dirty oil getting between the shaft and bushings. E.,

Default Turbo

Hey Erik:

I go overboard when it comes to oil changes, probably 50 hours or so. I too replaced the elbow and the filter on a regular basis. What other maintenance is required?

Mike

Erik,

Considering that you have so few hours, is the engine still under warranty? If not probably no big deal getting trhe additional work to squeeze out some more HP. If you don't mind me asking, what did te new turbo set you back $?

Mine seems to be fine, but, just in case, I' d like to know how bad it might hurt my wallet.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Tenacious

well the motor is a 92' so I'm guessing the warranty is out, $1300 and this is a upgraded turbo 30% more power they say, especially at lower rpm range, I gave the mechanic the numbers off of the fuel pump and he is getting me the tweaks to boost the h.p. to 230 or so, he hasn't got back to me yet.

Hey Mike,
    basically oil changes is all that is required to keep the turbo happy he said, that being said, dirty oil is the "normal" cause, but also shutting a hot engine off after a hard run and not allowing the turbo to cool can cause issues as well ie cracks , hot bearings, blah blah blah. He couldn't tell me what caused it just the normal things that cause it, did this engine have more hours than you were led to believe when you got it? That may be a possibility with the outdrive last year and the turbo now? Anyway I just feel real proud as an american to be doing my part for the economic recovery, have the rest of you been doing your part, oh yeah this is a boat owners web site stupid question. Erik

Default Turbo

Hey Erik:

I bought the boat through Steve Blackman, he was and currently is a boat broker and sells used Blackmans. This is the information I recieved when I bought it. It was also addressed when I had the boat surveyed, I think I gave you a copy? I think I may have the contact information for the original owner. I could PM you his info if needed.

Mike

Unhappy ??????

Hey Dirty E!

That engine on the Patron had exactly the hours that were on the tach. Period………That engine ran at idle after every “hot” stop almost without exception and had more oil changes that any diesel engine I own. Not as many as Mikes 50 hour changes but at the 100 hour number. Delo all the time. That hour number includes my personal F350 and a fleet of company Cummins powered trucks, trolling at 5.9 by the way does not constitute a hot stop.

As for your American contribution, I’m glad as an American your behind us, but Volvo Penta is a Swedish company. As a person of Swedish extraction hurrah, hurrah. Mike PM sent!
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

I think I had my turbo rebuilt twice during the 5500 hour lifespan; once @ 2700 and the other around 42-4400. Not being able to reach 4000 W.O.T and seeing a little black smoke tint rising above the boat wake on flat glassy days were the telltale signs. I would also grab the turbo vane and check for sideplay and freedom of spin each time I changed the air filter. I think I had the injection pump rebuilt 3 times and we went through the injectors 4 times,changed the elbow once, intercooler twice, and heat exchanger once, replaced raw water pump complete once, probably 8 or so impellers; replaced the recirculating pump once, alternator 4 or 5 times and 2 starters.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    I think I had my turbo rebuilt twice during the 5500 hour lifespan; once @ 2700 and the other around 42-4400. Not being able to reach 4000 W.O.T and seeing a little black smoke tint rising above the boat wake on flat glassy days were the telltale signs. I would also grab the turbo vane and check for sideplay and freedom of spin each time I changed the air filter. I think I had the injection pump rebuilt 3 times and we went through the injectors 4 times,changed the elbow once, intercooler twice, and heat exchanger once, replaced raw water pump complete once, probably 8 or so impellers; replaced the recirculating pump once, alternator 4 or 5 times and 2 starters.
    Wow! That is a lot of hours .how many years did that take to rack up?
    26' billfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information