+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing old Honeywell generator (inverter)

Default Replacing old Honeywell generator (inverter)

I think it is time to replace the old inverter on my boat. It is the original installation of 1984. It takes a little bit of a load to get it to power up. I think it is a 2000 watt rating. Anyone recommend a manufacture and size to install. Have some money saved up and I think it would be a good investment. I am also trying to figure on what is best to hold my cups from falling over while in the microwave in a tossing sea..

Default Inverter

I have the Xantrex Prowatt 1750 inverter it has no problem running the microwave or my wifes blowdryer.It was installed by blackman in 03 .

Al,

I have the Heart/Xantrax Freedom. I don't remember if it's the 1500W
    or the 2000W, but I no problem running the Microwave. When the kids
    are sleeping, I run my 500W high sodium squid light with it instead of
    running the generator. It's also a good battery charger. I have a separate display to monitor my battery status.

Hi Guys. I have thought of replacing my motor generator as well. Does anyone know about the sine wave issue. I have not researched that for a while. I thought there was a difference that between brands that was significant. Can an inverter run an electronic microwave? The motor generator needed one with a rotary dial button to start. Any issues with mounting in the original box?

Thanks Bob

The issue with stqarting the generator to start up has been my main problem. Also, I am sure that the old generator type must not be as efficient as a new solid statre type would be. I few times the microwave in the standby mode with the light on was not enough to keep the generator going so the generator would try to shut down and then start up again and I did not hear it . I am sure that it is not good for the generator to cycle like that and was taking a tool on the battery charge. West Marine has a upgraded 1800 watt Xantrex, with 3600 peek and auto transfer that will shut down if batteries get below a minimum setting. . It is around $380. SD Marine Exchange only has a St.Charles brand for over $1300. I do not think I need that kind of unit to run a microwave. So I guess I will be going with West Marine for $380.

I have the redi-line power generator. Sounds like what you have? I also have a honda 2000watt generator. I think i'll keep it like that until I upgrade to a sine wave style inverter with charger. I'm not sure if the little xantrex would run a microwave.
    26' billfisher

I bought the XM1800 and it says it can run microwaves, refrigerators and air conditioners. The battery portion is what makes the difference. I only use the microwave for 5 minutes at a time and the engines are usualy running all day, while I fish.. I just got tired of having to plug in an additional load to start up the generator. Anyone interested in the old unit? Going fishing to the Islands tomorrow , Friday, for yellow tail. I hear the 3/4 day boat got some.
    Al

Al, let me know how it works with the microwave. I may do the same thing.
    26' billfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information