+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underwater Lights

Jeff, explain more about the purpose of the dimmer. I sense there is a secret of squid behavior to learn. I presume that the halogen lights are 115 volt that can readily be purchased at Home Depot. You probably have to replace them every year or two, but they are relatively cheap. I always have trouble with the contacts arcing to the bulb and eventually they stop working even after repeated sanding. This is with my portable shop lights and no salt air/water.

Al, I have the same plan this summer to go out to the fishing grounds and stay the night on a chute. I just bought a chute this year for that purpose. I would be pleased to join you as a second boat on one of these adventures. It is unlikely that the tanker would take us both out. I am thinking about leaving around 10 AM or so, still have a little dusk fishing time and be able to wake up in the zone. bill
    Blackman Outer Banks 26' "HERON"

Here's a little info from when I made some a couple years ago. I think I gave one to Zack, Joe and kept one for myself. The other guys would have more hands on experience with the squid and LED lights so I'll let give some feed back on the effectiveness.

It's not a million candle power but it works as a compact bait light you can keep in the boat. Draw just over 1 amp on 12 volts.

32 super bright green LEDs in a 1 1/4" clear tube, potted with casting resin. I put 15' of cord on this one with a float so I can adjust how deep it hang under the boat.

This is what it looked like 5 feet under the boat.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 01-12-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Mike, I should have known that you have tried something. That is really cool. Do the squid come up to the light?
    Blackman Outer Banks 26' "HERON"

I try to buy the stuff when available. I have heard guys using this method. Meter around to find the marks. Turn on all lights, including the tower lights and put the deep lights in the water, deep. As soon as you get a few scouts zooming around, turn off the overhead spreader lights. They will start going up and circle the boat. Pull underwater light closer to the surface, squid will follow. if you have a dimmer, reduce light level. Squid sometimes stay at the outer edge of the light circle. use net or crowder to net and put into tanks. You will have trouble if the dogs are around. They will wait for the float and then scatter the squid.
    Bob

Mike, you gave one of those lights to me also. It is still going strong. I have had really good luck using it locally on fin bait. For squid I do pretty much what Bob said. I use the nickel metal halide (sp?) to bring them up and if they won’t come close I bring them to the boat with the smaller LED light. Then I try to keep them at the boat with the small light and use it as a living chum line.

Pat

Sorry Pat, I forgot all about putting one together for you. Glad to hear you're getting some use out of it.

Mine has only been in the water a few times for the fin bait as well. If I know we are after squid, I take a generator along and run a 500W MH street light.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information