+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sacramento Reef and Offshore June 20-24, 2009

Jeff,
    The trip to SAC reef is really not that hard. Once you top off in Ensenada and assuming that you cruise down to Geronimo at 7.5 knots (trolling speed), you would have plenty of fuel to fish a couple days at the reef and return to Ensenada. Of course, going that slow requires more time and to do it right you might consider anchoring at San Martin each night in between Geronimo and Ensenada.
    Tenacious

Scott,
    How much fuel in separate containers did you carry?

I carried 8-5 gal cannisters under the gunnels but, I found that once we got down to Bahia Tortuga that I only burned 102 gal from Ensenada. That 102 gal included a couple days of fishing around Benitos ans some running at 15 knots (for a couple hours). I would feel comfortable topping off at Ensenada and motoring down to Geronimo, fishing a couple days and returning to Ensenada without even bringing extra fuel. However, I'll probably bring an extra 20 gal just for any storm evasion or pirate evasion? I'm not sure what kind of mileage you get but, I'd think that it is better than the AD41.
    Tenacious

An added wrinkle now is that is you can skip Ensenada on the way back you can swing outside on your return and fish tuna with the 2 day boats on the way back. If you have to go slow to conserve fuel you might as well be fishing. If you store the containers in your fish well they are out of site and out of your way. I like the 15 Gallon stubby drums and I can fit 6 of them below decks. On the billfisher I think you can get 5 in the fishwell. I use a 12 volt vane pump to transfer fuel. I can find out what the 15’s cost if you interested.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

My typical travel plan is to get to Ensenada around 7 when the dock opens, pick up fuel and head to San Martin. You’ll get there later in the day for some fishing but the first day is largely a 150 mile travel day. The next day I usually look around San Martin in the morning but by mid day at the latest I’m headed south for the 35 mile trip to Jeronimo. I usually go right on by Jeronimo 2 miles and fish the reef until its time to anchor up for the evening at Jeronimo. Day three is fishing Jeronimo and the reef and early in the morning on Day 4 I’m headed outside to drag for tuna. I spend the night on the sea anchor and fish the morning of day 5 before heading on in to San Diego.

The second option in August and September is to forget the offshore stuff and spend the extra day in on the beach looking for the white seabass that by then will have left here and be down there. So many fish and so many choices.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information