+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need to top off some steering oil.

Default Need to top off some steering oil.

Looking around the boat for some spare steering oil. Anybody know what to put into the steering. My top steering lost the ability to steer for a short time. Maybe have gotten air bound for a short minute. The guy steering on top thought that I was trying to steer from below. It should be something common. 1984 Outerbanks. I am assuming they shouold all use the same wieght oil.

I assume you have the same Hynautic H-50 helms as the rest of us. Do you have the round aluminum resivor in the enging compartment? There are two sight glassed on the side of it and the fluid should be up in the top one with 25 pounds of pressure on the system.

Here is a list of oils that are compatable for that system.
    Oil Manufacturer/ Brand Name
    SeaStar SeaStar oil part number HA5430
    Shell Aero Shell Fluid #4
    Esso Univis N15 or J13
    Texaco HO15
    Chevron Aviation Hydraulic Fluid A
    Mobil Aero HFA

I bought a quart of SeaStar at West Marine last year, but it looks like they may have change the brand they stock.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I have 2 straight shaft and no outdrive, sorry for the confusion.

The reservoir is where excess fluid is stored. You should have a pressure guage and a air valve on top. Bleed off the air pressure and remove the large plug. Fill the resrvoir using a funnel, install plug and pump up the pressure to 20 -25 psi. Your helms will push out the air by rotating back and forth with full cycles. Start at the highest helm. You may have to continue to add fluid. If you continue to loose fluid, then check for leaks, at steering ram, the helms, any connections to A/P or whatever you can find. New steering systems do not use the reservoir, fluid is stored in the helm.

Bob

Default 10 WT. oil hydralic

Found out mine is an open system, so I only fill from the very top steering station. Hydralic oil is good enough to use. Talked with the previous owner. Thanks for all your help. I hope i did not cause any one any harm. Going out tomorrow about 10:00 am SI. Heading toward the 9 mille middle area then going on out toward the kidney and checking things out. Moving toward theIslands to anchor over night and deciding where to go Friday night for Saturday. I have had good luck staying close. I can cover more area rather then going long.
    Al

Just purchased one gallon of Shell mill spec hydraulic oil from Ap Fisher for
    $22.00. Seems a much better deal then the Sea Star oil for 20 bucks a quart.
    It is the oil recommended by Teleflex. Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information