+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rope to chain splice getting un-done

Default Rope to chain splice getting un-done

Guys, this is starting to freak me out...I recently installed a windlass on
    my boat and it requires a rope to chain splice...1/2" rope, 1/4" G4 Chain.

I now have 2 splices getting un-done by 2 different so-call professionals.
    So far, it has only cost me 1 Bruce anchor, but I could be much worse!!!

Does anyone here have similar set-up and what has been your experience?
    Windlass is Lewmar Profish.

I have the same setup no problems in six years.How many inches do they braid the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Malu Lani View Post
    I have the same setup no problems in six years.How many inches do they braid the rope.
    Thanks for responding.

1st guy: about 5"
    2nd guy: about 8"

Can you please let me know you did your splice?

It may not be the splice of the rope. Unless you actually come up with the undone rope fraid and undone. They should have bunt the ends of each rope piece. I live in lemon Grove. Let me know if I can help. It is not a complicated process. Anyone that knows how to splice should be able to look at it and tell you what is wrong. I usualy splice the rope eye and then put in a shackle or pear shaped split link and peen the split link. You should have a type of shwevle(SP) between the rope and chain.

I don’t see how a splice could come undone in one drop and if it were coming undone how you would not notice it. I use the anchor a lot and the most I’ve ever had come undone was a single tuck. I have the Profish 1000 and I just went to 8 plait. It’s a more complicated splice and it is expensive but the line is a dream. The rope/chain transition is smooth coming through the windless and it lies very well in the locker.

Not sure what the purpose of the split link or swivel would be. Both would be weak links and I don’t know how they would get through the windless.

Another thing that will save anchors is to shackle the chain to the base of the anchor and then use heavy tuna cord to attach the chain to a shackle on the other end of the shank.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gagnon View Post
    It may not be the splice of the rope. Unless you actually come up with the undone rope fraid and undone. They should have bunt the ends of each rope piece. I live in lemon Grove. Let me know if I can help. It is not a complicated process. Anyone that knows how to splice should be able to look at it and tell you what is wrong. I usualy splice the rope eye and then put in a shackle or pear shaped split link and peen the split link. You should have a type of shwevle(SP) between the rope and chain.

Hii Al, I have a windlass so it will need to be a rope to chain splice.

Hi Yale, I have the Profish 700. It has to be rope to chain splice like
    yours. I currently use 3 strand.

The 1st splice that came un-done was at 3am; Cat Harbor.
    I only got the rope back and you can still see the melted end of the
    nylon rope, it was not cut or break.

The 2nd splice did not come completely un-done. I was able to get
    the anchor and chain up, barely as there was only 2-3 loops left.

I run a 7.5kg Bruce with 50' of chain. Everything I have read so far
    tell me the splice should not come un-done. 1st time, I chalk it up
    to a bad splice. 2nd time, I am now real concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I don’t see how a splice could come undone in one drop and if it were coming undone how you would not notice it. I use the anchor a lot and the most I’ve ever had come undone was a single tuck. I have the Profish 1000 and I just went to 8 plait. It’s a more complicated splice and it is expensive but the line is a dream. The rope/chain transition is smooth coming through the windless and it lies very well in the locker.

Not sure what the purpose of the split link or swivel would be. Both would be weak links and I don’t know how they would get through the windless.

Another thing that will save anchors is to shackle the chain to the base of the anchor and then use heavy tuna cord to attach the chain to a shackle on the other end of the shank.

Good on the chain and the anchor is the same as I use except I’m 33
    #. I’ve run 3 strand for a long time and its fine. It just isn’t as manageable as the 8 plait. You might want to add some whipping goop to the splice. Don’t get carried away with it as it will make the splice stiff. Good luck. Anchors coming undone isn’t a good feeling.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

I would use some whipping twine to secure the splice.

I have been using the same setup for many years on several different boats and never had any issues. I always do my own splices (not a pro by any means) and the only thing I can think of is improper rope. Is the rope nylon? If not that could be your problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information