+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NoSlack Repower

Default NoSlack Repower

I've been down on power and having trouble getting on plane most of the summer. After trying several things I called Bill Waters to see what parts he had left over from the 40s he pulled out of his boat last summer.

I was really just looking for a turbo when Bill made me a deal I couldn't pass up, on a complete engine with a fresh turbo, injector pump. injectors, exhaust elbow and raw water pump.

I pulled my engine last Saturday the 5th, drove to Irvine to pick up the engine on the 6th and installed it on the 7th. I wasn't able to get it started that day so I called Bill for some advise. Bill posted some questions on BoatDiesel.com and most of the veterans came back with the same conclusion and advise. The rings were most likely stuck to the pistons and I wasn't building compression. I verified this with 1 thru 4 being near zero with 5 and 6 being close to 300 psi. The advise was to squirt some penetrating oil in the cylinders and give it a few day.

Friday afternoon was my next opportunity to work on the boat. I bleed the injector lines again and cranked the heck out of it for 15 or 20 minutes with no better results. I hooked up a fleet battery charger to the batteries and set it for 18 volts to give the starter a little extra kick. A couple cranks later she started coughing and finally started under a big black cloud of smoke and some really ugly sounding noises. The guys on BoatDiesel said the 2 good cylinders would carry the others until things freed up. It took 20 or 30 seconds for things to settle down and sound normal.

I took her down to the water today and she ran great. Full RPM, no smoke and 50% more turbo boost that I was getting out of the old engine last week.

Boost is now kicking in at 1700 RPM vs 2200 last week and topping out at 12 PSI @3600 vs 6PSI @ 3300 last week.

Thanks again for all your help Bill.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 09-15-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Default NOSLACK REPOWER

Mike,
    IT sounds like your Happy,GOOD FOR YOU! How fast at what RPM?

Topping out at 25 knots with an easy cruise of 20 knots at 3200 RPM. Just like the good old days.

Mike

Life is good when the turbo kicks in and your turning the rpm’s you should. Leaving in the am and will miss having you aboard.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Mike,

I'm really glad you got it running and it's doing it's job again. It looks like it should give you enough time to save for a new engine package. You are a knowledgeable mechanic, which is what it took in this situation.

Now, all I need to do is sell the rest of the parts in my garage.

Bill

Thanks again Bill.

My brain must of turned to mush by the end of last week, I started calling you Bob, so no one had any idea who I was talking about. I guess if it didn't start that would have been a good thing to help protect your identity I had to go back and edit my post tonight to give credit where credit was due.

Keep after Brian "Old Blue" about that cooler. I know he could use a newer one.

I started working on my parts pile today. The goal is to have a complete set of spares. aftercooler, oil cooler, heat exchanger, circulating water pump, raw water pump, injector pump, injectors, glow plugs and the pile goes on.

Mike

Lucky you
    How many hours on the new motor?
    Hijole

I think Bill said it was somewhere around 3500 hours. For me that's like stepping back in time 8 year on the block and refreshing all the components that hang on it.

It couldn't have worked out better, minus the 2 hours Friday afternoon I was on suicide watch waiting for those ring to free up.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information