+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the water coolant hose repair

Default On the water coolant hose repair

I was hoping to post a great fish report. Unfortunately, About all I can say is that the weather was perfect as we neared the 302 area. Another boat "Queenfish" was giving us updates on the conditions as he got closer to the 230. Sounds like it was perfect 68.5 degree blue/purple water. We stopped on a paddy the size of a house and just as we threw the first bait, I hear this high pitched whining and it wasn't the drag on my reel. Opened the engine hatch to find a small stream of coolant water spraying on the alternator belt. Damn! Apparently the belt was worn and slapping against the hose. I actually experience this last year and neglected to change the belt as I didn't realize why it happened. I just thought it was loose so, I vowed to always ensure that it was tight before every trip. Well, it was tight at the begining of this trip. Since I didn't have a spare hose onboard, I figured I'd call Vessel Assist and get them moving my way while I attempted to patch the hose. Could not raise vessel assist or CH 16 or 22A. Queenfish also tried with no joy. Atmospherics, intereference, or maybe a hot mike on those channels? Ended up placing a piece of gasket material over the hole and wrapping as much electrical tape over the hole as I could get on it. Cruised back home at 5 knots with no further leaks. Lesson learned, always ensure that you have good belts and that they are tight. Not sure if there is a good hose patching product for these apploications or not? Anybody got a good product for this? Oh, the Queenfish called shortly after they arrived at the 230 to say that they just got a double almost immediately after putting the jigs out.
    Tenacious

I would have to retighten my belts every 50 hrs or so and replace a set every year, however my pullys were not the smoothest!

Yep Jeff,

If only I followed my manual (maintenance schedule) a little closer and was a little smarter (should've figured this out the forst time it happened), I probably would have had a fish report to post! Time and money is all it takes (and a little smarts).
    Tenacious

Scott

Are you talking about a hard copper line? If so, get it off the engine and take it to a weld shop to get a patch silver soldered over the rub through. Don't trust a soft patch in that area.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I had problems with the Volvo belts for several years. I first thought one of the reasons was the small bits of rust that would build up on the pulley. Someone told me it looked as if I was not using a belt that had the metric measurement.
    I finally figured out that the belt from Volvo didn't last very long and it was too long. It seemed to stretch just enough to where the alternator would hit the bottom of the heat exchanger and I couldn't raise it high enough to adjust it to get the best adjustment.
    I went to Napa with a friend who looked up the correct measurement of the Volvo belt. They have the exact metric measurement the Volvo belt is supposed to have. I purchased the Napa belt but just several mm's smaller in length. The shorter belt allowed me to have more “pull” on the alternator without hitting the heat exchanger. the Napa belt also fit better in the pulley so I don't have all of the rubber mess I had with the Volvo belt.
    I do have to remove the arm from the alternator to the motor when I install a new belt.
    This now lets me go longer without adjusting the belt.
    They are also cheaper.
    Hijole

Whats the number of the belt????
    [

QUOTE=hijole;8660]I had problems with the Volvo belts for several years. I first thought one of the reasons was the small bits of rust that would build up on the pulley. Someone told me it looked as if I was not using a belt that had the metric measurement.
    I finally figured out that the belt from Volvo didn't last very long and it was too long. It seemed to stretch just enough to where the alternator would hit the bottom of the heat exchanger and I couldn't raise it high enough to adjust it to get the best adjustment.
    I went to Napa with a friend who looked up the correct measurement of the Volvo belt. They have the exact metric measurement the Volvo belt is supposed to have. I purchased the Napa belt but just several mm's smaller in length. The shorter belt allowed me to have more “pull” on the alternator without hitting the heat exchanger. the Napa belt also fit better in the pulley so I don't have all of the rubber mess I had with the Volvo belt.
    I do have to remove the arm from the alternator to the motor when I install a new belt.
    This now lets me go longer without adjusting the belt.
    They are also cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Mike,
    No, it's not the copper water pipe. It's the rubberish hose that carries coolant water from the reservoir to the heat exchanger. I will replace the hose to the tune of $150.

Pepe,
    Really? I'll have to go to Napa and check out those belts. I know exactly what you mean about the belts stretching and the rubber bits slinging all over the sides of the engine compartment. Hard to believe that the belts that Volvo sells are not the optimum belts for that engine.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Tenacious

The Volvo belt #966978 is suppose to be 1100mm long and 9.5/10 mm wide.
    Gates has a belt #7430 that is the same dimensions and the Goodyear Gatorback 11AV1105 is 1105mm long and 11mm wide. It sits a little higher in the pulley do to the extra width and is 5 mm shorter than Volvo's belt. I've had good luck with both brands.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 10-14-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks Mike,
    I'd imagine that you need to totally take the alternator arm off in order to get the belt on the pulleys?

Scott
    Tenacious

I made my own arm when I went to the 90 amp self exciting alternator, and it lets me change the belts with it on. If I remember correctly the Volvo arm has a little bend in it and the one I made is straight with a longer slot.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information