+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bait Pump Stops Pumping in Reverse...

Default Bait Pump Stops Pumping in Reverse...

Hello...Hope no one minds, I'm jumping right in with a question. My bait tank pump went out on me over the summer. It was a Jabsco centrifical puppy pump. Very heavy duty, but didn't last very long. Turns out they didn't make it any more.

The simple remove and replace using the same mounts wasn't going to happen so I purchased a rule tournament series pump. It's installed in the same location using the same hoses. Nothing was changed other than the pump and the bracket to mount. Works great! Pumps a lot of water, bait holds up well. However, when I put the boat in reverse even for just a second the pump stays on, but stops pumping water.

Any one ever experience this before?

Thanks,
    Tony
    Last edited by Libre; 11-25-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Default bait pump

Yes,
    Thats normal....its "air" locked. I cycle the pump "Off than On" to let the air escape.

The hose from the pump to the bait tank should be without any "dips downward" that catch air, so the air can escape up through the tank.

Hope thats clear?

Yes I forgot to mention all I have to do is turn the pump on and then off again and it works again. I think you are correct! It's been a while, but now that you mention the dip, I do believe the old pump had an elbow that allowed the hose from the tank to the bait pump a straight vertical shot. The new pump requires a dip down at the bottom. I need to get another elbow to point upward so the hose can make a straight vertical connection.

Right on! Thank you!
    Tony

Phil is right about the hose. I now have a good slope from the pump to the tank and I never have to cycle, the pump to get it re-primed. I run a Shurflo Bait Sentry 1100.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Yeah that's gotta be it. Now I have the challenge of creating the right slope.

Thanks!
    26' Billfisher - Libre

Jabsco replacement is the Cyclone, a stainless steel model and I have one if you need it however I replaced mine as well with a Rule 800 and mounted it directly on top of my thru hull ball valve and I never lose prime now ; it's always below the waterline. It doesn't fill my tank up as quickly, the 1100 GPH model is made for 1" discharge hose while the 800 uses the same 3/4" hose I'm plumbed for; I think the pump motors are the same and I don't know how long these rule pumps last; I used to get 3-4 years out of my Centripuppy. The early Cyclone models did not last long either and the equivelent Groco pumps are noisy. I can replace the pump only every year ($40) for 4 years and still be cheaper than a Cyclone ($200).

I have the 1100GPH model and I thought about mounting it on the thru hull, but it wouldn't fit in the space. I checked it out again today. Going to be a challenge to mount without the dip to keep it primed. We will see if I get ambitious enough to take the time to fix it.

Main reason I switched was because mine was no longer available, but I decided to go with the Rule because it was light weight, heard they work well, and seem to be in a lot of boats. Cost seemed reasonable too.

During peak fishing season when the bait line gets ridiculous and for tournaments I get bait the night before. Plus I try to string multiple day trips together so bait pump gets used a lot. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Appreciate everyone's feedback! Thank you!
    Tony
    26' Billfisher - Libre

Hey Tony,

I have the same problem on my Skippy. I would loose prime whenever I throw
    her on reverse.

I was running an MP pump...sucker was drawing 12 amps but lasted over 4 years. I tried the rule tournament 1600 after hearing good things from Joe
    (Honeygirl), but the base was too big to fit. My thru-hull is just below the
    oil cooler. I ended up with the Jabsco Cyclone. So far so good; still loose
    prime periodically though...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information