+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guadalupe Island

Default Guadalupe Island

I just got back from a 5.5 day trip to GuadalupeIsland on the Pacific Star.
    The fishing was pretty good. The boat not so good. The first day was just a tune up on the north end and then we moved to the south end. At the south end we had two day of a slow pick with flurries of up to eight people hooked up at one time on YFT to 80 lbs. We only lost 4-6 fish to the taxman. Saw one chase down a seal that got tangled in fishing line trying to steal a fish. Man can they move.

If they only had a marina to refuel!

I will post some picture when I get them, I did not take a camera.

We had a 36 hour return trip....they had to slow to 4 knots because of the swells.

Hope you had a good time Phil, that sounds like the Lupe! Did whitey catch his friend?

Default Guadalupe Island

I had a GREAT TIME.

Everything worked...learned a few things.

Whitey got him....and my friend got most of his spectra back with a clean cut.

It was cool to see him eat the seal in one bite.

We need a few in La Jolla.

If the permits can be figured out I’m in. Its one day of open water which is like going long for albacore. Don’t want to minimize the situation but is very doable. I’m leaving for Benitos /Cedros a week from Monday. Two weeks, two guys and lots of big tails (Yellowtail that is). Day one 150 miles to San Martin with a stop in Ensenada for lots of cheap fuel, day two is 135 mile to Benitos. In the middle I need to go to Turtle bay (55 Miles for fuel).

Would love to buddy boat to Lupe if anybody is interested.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Default Guadalupe

There was some discussion on Bloodydecks about getting permits in the discussion of it being closed and reopened.
    Someone said they were going down on a private boat and the permits could / needed to be obtained in Ensenada. He even offered to help obtain the necessary permits. There was a private boat down there when we were there...about 100' I also heard that part of the problem is they want the boats to leave from Ensenada.

Phil

Yale,
    If you need crew - call.

I'd heard today that Lupe was shut down. This has been the case off and on all summer. The 6 day boats are all fishin the beach today so this must be true.
    Royal Hook

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information