+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am going to slip my boat!!!

Default I am going to slip my boat!!!

I am going to do it!!! I am going to slip my boat. I have been storing my
    boats at Sunset Aquatic dry dock for the last 20 plus years.

I have always wanted to be in the water, but was just too concerned with
    maintenance. At 41 years old, I might be getting wiser since I woke up this morning and thought "who am I kidding???!!! I am always doing maintenance so what's the big deal!

I know you guys are probably thinking; big deal...but it is for me so I decide
    to share with you guys and off course ask for some tips.

Beside bottom paint, zincs, divers what else should I be concern with?

My outdrive has quite a bit of paint chips scratches and such. Do I simply
    paint with the volvo paint or do I need to prime and then paint? What primer
    if needed? I do not plan to paint the outdrive with bottom paint, bu should I?

Enough of my rant...anyhelp is greatly appreciate it.

Your going to love having your boat in a slip. It's a whole new experience.

If your out drive has questionable paint on it I would seriously consider painting it before it gets in the water. I'm not sure what kind of paint and the process because I have always had the boat yard do it.

Outside of all that you have mentioned it is critical to have a good bottom cleaner/diver! I have gone through a couple to find one. It's another monthly expense, but well worth it and they will keep a close watch on everything.

Replace your zincs regularly. Your diver will let you know. My diver changes mine about every three months.

Make sure to have Zincs on your swim step bar below the water line.
    I give my boat a good annual buff/polish to protect it from the salt environment.
    I also make sure regardless of use that it gets washed every other week to keep the salt air build up cleaned off.

I'm sure there is more, but that's what comes to mind right now.

Tony
    Last edited by Libre; 12-10-2009 at 06:52 PM.
    26' Billfisher - Libre

Don't let anybody talk you into a bottom liner. They use chlorine to treat the water your aluminum out drive does not like it.Don warned me about it and it cost me a set of props . You can have your boat bottom painted by a pro for the price of a liner.It was a mofo to move it when I sold it.Its like maintaining pool chemicals .

Quote Originally Posted by Malu Lani View Post
    Don't let anybody talk you into a bottom liner. They use chlorine to treat the water your aluminum out drive does not like it.Don warned me about it and it cost me a set of props . You can have your boat bottom painted by a pro for the price of a liner.It was a mofo to move it when I sold it.Its like maintaining pool chemicals .
    Thanks. I have bottom paint so I plan to put another coat over it freshen it up a bit.

Thanks Tony. I can't wait. I am going to have the outdrive prime and painted.
    Good idea about zincs for the swim-step brackets. I will put them on and also
    replace the zincs that are on the trim tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Libre View Post
    Your going to love having your boat in a slip. It's a whole new experience.

If your out drive has questionable paint on it I would seriously consider painting it before it gets in the water. I'm not sure what kind of paint and the process because I have always had the boat yard do it.

Outside of all that you have mentioned it is critical to have a good bottom cleaner/diver! I have gone through a couple to find one. It's another monthly expense, but well worth it and they will keep a close watch on everything.

Replace your zincs regularly. Your diver will let you know. My diver changes mine about every three months.

Make sure to have Zincs on your swim step bar below the water line.
    I give my boat a good annual buff/polish to protect it from the salt environment.
    I also make sure regardless of use that it gets washed every other week to keep the salt air build up cleaned off.

I'm sure there is more, but that's what comes to mind right now.

Tony

Just thought about flushing the motor...I guess you wouldn't

I just thought of something else to consider, which is to replace your drain bolt on the transom. I put a fresh new one on every time I have the boat out. They can get stuck and that's a pain.
    26' Billfisher - Libre

I have a perco in line motor flush valve installed . We use saltaway to flush the motor.It is located in the hose feeding the raw water pump .

That's a great idea! They even offer a 1 1/4" size which I believe
    should fit right into the existing tubing. Any concern with it being
    plastic and below the waterline?

Quote Originally Posted by Malu Lani View Post
    I have a perco in line motor flush valve installed . We use saltaway to flush the motor.It is located in the hose feeding the raw water pump .

I have been in the slip for six years and have not had any problems it still looks new they are heavyduty .

PS knock on wood !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information