+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: argh...I think my starter is going bad...

Quick update...

I checked the starter battery and it is good. Still have the Green indicator.
    All connections are also good. Batteries are fully charged and the darn thing
    starts first try everytime with no hesitation or just a click.

I have done this 4 different days atleast 5 to 6 times a day. I can only think
    that I may have let the battery drained during bottom painting or I might have had the inverter on all night...

I have had 4 Delco 12v for over 20 years for about 4-5 years each.
    About 2 or 3 years ago I had each of the red/+ cables corroding where they came out of the battery box and made a right angle turn to the charger and electric panel. The gauge of the cables was too small, OK 20 years ago but not today. I believe the size of the wires was changed just after mine was built.
    I'm sure that's not a reason for the starter problem I just feel like typing
    Hijole

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hijole View Post
    About 2 or 3 years ago I had each of the red/+ cables corroding where they came out of the battery box and made a right angle turn to the charger and electric panel. The gauge of the cables was too small, OK 20 years ago but not today. I believe the size of the wires was changed just after mine was built.
    Now that is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by hijole View Post
    Pepe I noticed the same thing about 5. years ago when I changed my 4 Delcos; I upsized my cables back to the solenoid and to the starter and it made a big difference. I know the starting cable was replaced again with the new engine install 2 Augusts ago.

John helped me with the larger wire size. He is the one who told me the reason for the change.
    I'm not exactly sure but I think mine had #6 cables and I changed them for #4. It made a big differance with all of the electrical, including starting.
    Hijole

ditto, changed mine to #1 wire no problems now!!! and I run alot of shit.

Well, it's looking like the starter has to come out...after 3-4 weeks of starting without any issues and a few local trips, I decided it's time to be back to
    Catalina again.

Got to the island, fished a little and baited up the hoopnets. All set and ready right? Wrong!!! Turn the ignition and CLICK! Switch to the fully charged starting battery, CLICK!! Banged on the starter and she finally starts.

I got back to the slip and tried to remove the starter. Lots of PB blaster
    and no go on the inner nut between the starter and the engine. It won. I went home with my tail between my legs. I will be back at it this weekend when I and fresh.

BTW, I did manage a couple of Lobster for dinner. Even kept a calico; which we steamed with soysauce and chives. I earned it!
    Last edited by Wa Mei; 02-02-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Bummer! But at least now you know and won't have to worry about it. Good job on the bugs and cali. Good eats!

Tony
    26' Billfisher - Libre

Quote Originally Posted by Libre View Post
    Bummer! But at least now you know and won't have to worry about it. Good job on the bugs and cali. Good eats!

Tony
    Thanks Tony. Just spoke to Lewco. solenoid and rusts were the issues.
    I will have the starter back in time for the weekend!!!

I got the starter back from Lewco. It looks practically brand new!
    Starts like a champion all weekend! Will be back at Catalina this
    weekend!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information