+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stuck forward prop

Default stuck forward prop

Trying to do my annual greasing of the propshaft and I am having a hard time
    getting my forward prop off. The back prop came right off.

Mike (No Slack) thank you for replying to my PM on this...tried 4x4 and mallet and such luck...

Anyone have success removing their stuck prop? It's been about 14 months
    since I last removed my prop. Man, last thing I need is to mess up my drive.

I kept soaking mine with Liquid Wrench, after 1 week it came off ater banging it each day. Another Time I used heat but I think I cooked the shaft seal as I got water in my drive at the next oil change

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    I kept soaking mine with Liquid Wrench, after 1 week it came off ater banging it each day. Another Time I used heat but I think I cooked the shaft seal as I got water in my drive at the next oil change
    Thanks Jeff. I will drive that I try. I really want to get the darn thing off so
    I can change the zinc and re-grease it before I put her in the water after the
    holidays.

Worse case scenario;
    I ruined 2 sets because I used anti-seize when I put them on. It took me the 2nd set because I didn't learn my lesson the first time. I actually put more on the 2nd time so it wouldn't seize. I had to get a chisel and cut them off.

When I used grease on the new props, I also noticed the 1st prop much tighter than the original one. Knowing it was not stuck I also used a rubber mallet and just knocked it around and around. I had to remove the small rudder because I couldn't turn the prop when it started hitting the rudder. Not sure what it’s called but I’ll call it a rudder.
    These props are around 10 years old and still somewhat cumbersome to remove.
    Hijole

I have heard that antiseize is a no no when it comes to salt
    water.

Sounds like you have in inboard if you are talking about a rudder;
    and yes, it is call a rudder...

Quote Originally Posted by hijole View Post
    Worse case scenario;
    I ruined 2 sets because I used anti-seize when I put them on. It took me the 2nd set because I didn't learn my lesson the first time. I actually put more on the 2nd time so it wouldn't seize. I had to get a chisel and cut them off.

When I used grease on the new props, I also noticed the 1st prop much tighter than the original one. Knowing it was not stuck I also used a rubber mallet and just knocked it around and around. I had to remove the small rudder because I couldn't turn the prop when it started hitting the rudder. Not sure what it’s called but I’ll call it a rudder.
    These props are around 10 years old and still somewhat cumbersome to remove.

For the real ugly gobs I've had to go with the 60,000 pound 3 jaw puller. This thing is such a beast it takes two guys to get it setup.

I start out by breaking up the zinc with a hammer and chisel so the jaws of the puller can get behind the prop. You will need to make a sleeve that goes over the small shaft and rests on the end of the big shaft. I made one out of 1 1/2" aluminum pipe and cut it a 1/2" longer than the small shaft. Go with a metal softer than the shaft when you make this sleeve.

The reason for the sleeve is to put all the pressure on the larger shaft that the prop is stuck to. If you push on the small shaft, the bearings and gears are feeling all the pressure from the gear puller.

If things go real well the prop and hub will come off the shaft. If things are really stuck you will pull the prop off the hub then cut the rubber insert off with a saw. Now you are down to the 1/4" thick aluminum sleeve that you can heat and pull off with the puller.

This sounds like a bitch, because it is. The good news is, you'll never forget to grease those props again during your 100 hour service.

Mike

Here is a picture of a big puller. The one I have accses to is long enough to reach from the tip of the small shaft to the back of the big prop.

Last edited by NoSlack; 12-11-2009 at 05:24 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Mike, my jaw hurts just looking at that picture...brings back bad memories
    at the dentist chair...I am hoping I don't have to go that route, but it is looking more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    For the real ugly gobs I've had to go with the 60,000 pound 3 jaw puller. This thing is such a beast it takes two guys to get it setup.

I start out by breaking up the zinc with a hammer and chisel so the jaws of the puller can get behind the prop. You will need to make a sleeve that goes over the small shaft and rests on the end of the big shaft. I made one out of 1 1/2" aluminum pipe and cut it a 1/2" longer than the small shaft. Go with a metal softer than the shaft when you make this sleeve.

The reason for the sleeve is to put all the pressure on the larger shaft that the prop is stuck to. If you push on the small shaft, the bearings and gears are feeling all the pressure from the gear puller.

If things go real well the prop and hub will come off the shaft. If things are really stuck you will pull the prop off the hub then cut the rubber insert off with a saw. Now you are down to the 1/4" thick aluminum sleeve that you can heat and pull off with the puller.

This sounds like a bitch, because it is. The good news is, you'll never forget to grease those props again during your 100 hour service.

Mike

Here is a picture of a big puller. The one I have accses to is long enough to reach from the tip of the small shaft to the back of the big prop.

I was able to get my prop off today!!! 2 guys with large flat head screwdrivers between the prop and the zinc. Came right out. Whew!
    New zincs and fresh bottom paint applied. She's going to the slip tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information