+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to remove starter?

Default How to remove starter?

Guys,

I am going to take my starter out and have it service. My engine is a Volvo KAD43. I have very little room to work with and I cannot see the whole starter.

I only see 2 bolts attaching the starter to the motor. I checked the Volvo store site and I only see 2 studs and bolts on the BOM. This can't be right
    could it? I can see the 2 working if it's diagonal, but these 2 studs are on the side.

Take a look at the drawing for the block and you'll see 3 holes for the starter mounting. top, port and bottom of the starter. Do you still have the ground strap from the end of the starter to one of the mounting bolts? If that has been removed, it could give you the problem you were seeing.

Phil also has a good point about the contact plate in the solinoid. If it's pitted real bad, you'll hear the solinoid pull in but no voltage will pass through the contacts to the starter windings.

Mike

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/...0-21-3055.aspx
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate the info...I called Lewco Electric this morning.
    They suggest having the batteries tested and clean all connections first before removing the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    Take a look at the drawing for the block and you'll see 3 holes for the starter mounting. top, port and bottom of the starter. Do you still have the ground strap from the end of the starter to one of the mounting bolts? If that has been removed, it could give you the problem you were seeing.

Phil also has a good point about the contact plate in the solinoid. If it's pitted real bad, you'll hear the solinoid pull in but no voltage will pass through the contacts to the starter windings.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post

Mike

John from Blackman's once told me to check the grounding strap and he was correct; the one end got corroded green from salt water and after I replaced it my problems were gone, for the time being.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information