+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement windows

Default Replacement windows

I am thinking about replacing the windows in my Outerbanks. I replaced the back windows last Spring with tempered glass and they came out great. The side sliders are pretty crazed and I am thinking to replace them with tempered glass - tinted. I got the back windows from Mark's Plastic in Corona - he did a great job and I figure to get the side windows from him as well. Anybody done this replacement?

If you’ve got somebody who can replace Blackman windows with units that don’t leak PLEASE let me know. Steve tells me I’m the only person that has leaking windows. Both the Patron and the Riley leak. I’ve tried all kinds of fixes and they still leak.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Default New Windows for the Laura Mei

Put in new windows in the Laura Mei yesterday. Had them made by Mark's Plastics in Corona. He is a great guy and does excellent work. He made the original windows for Blackman. Mark came down to the boat measured and then delivered to the boat - they fit perfectly. The ones on my Outerbanks were plastic and had become crazed and yellowed. I put in tempered glass all around and the difference is amazing. I did not realize what I had been putting up with. Went with 1/4 tint bronze on the side windows and clear for forward and aft windows. My buddy Jerry helped me install and we knocked it out in about 7 hours. I think it came out great. Here are some pictures.

Old plastic windows.

Out with the old

Caulking it up

Installed

Charley
    Last edited by Laura Mei; 03-14-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: fix pics

They look great

Are tinted legal in a pilothouse? They do look alot better!

Tinted windows legal in pilothouse? I don't know - hope so - didn't think about it.

I think since you have an upper station you're OK; it's a night vision thing . That's why Don never installed tinted in the pilothouses. You might check with the CG as the fines would be steep; last XMAS the USCG mowed down a family at night watching the Boat Parade of Lights here in SD came right up the stern with one of their Pilothouse Inflatables and went right over the top killing a young boy and injuring others. You need as much night vis as possible; you argument would be you drive in the tower at night..

The last outterbanks build buy blackman had grey tinted windows in it. I was down there when the owner and steve were going over the final inspection. looked good with that grey tint.

My brother's 27' Mackinaw has bronze tint windows from the factory.
    Doesn't appears to be as dark as your side windows thought. The lobster boat "Dimitri" at Sunset Aquatic Marina has pretty dark windows. I think
    you will be fine!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information