+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spectra vs Mono ?????

Default Spectra vs Mono ?????

Hello All, Happy New Year from your Northern Brother. It's time for yearly maintenance both for the "Patron" and my rods and reels. Debating which way to go when it comes to filling my antiquated reels with fresh line. Most of my trips are to Catalina and Santa Barbara Island. What do you guys have on your setups? Go mostly spectra? a combo? Keep the heavier reels with mono? Reels consist mostly of Newells (my buddys give me a hard time but I love the way they fish) I hear Spectra with a topshot of Flourocarbon????

Thanks

Mike
    Patron

All my reel are 3/4 full of spectra. In the winter I take the top shot off 3 or 4 rigs for cod fishing. Top shots are no longer than 50 yard for the trolling reel and up to 100 yard on the bait sticks.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    All my reel are 3/4 full of spectra. In the winter I take the top shot off 3 or 4 rigs for cod fishing. Top shots are no longer than 50 yard for the trolling reel and up to 100 yard on the bait sticks.

Mike
    What he said
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Default sprecta

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    What he said
    I am converting to what he said, execpt top shots to 25 feet.

Phil

I'm converting to Mike's set up most of my reels have 100 yards of top shot over spectra

What knot is every one using I'm having some trouble with it

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
    I'm converting to Mike's set up most of my reels have 100 yards of top shot over spectra

What knot is every one using I'm having some trouble with it

Russ
    I run all spectra except for a 100' top shot of mono. For the connection I use a short piece of hollow core spectra and splice the mono and solid core inside of that. It is ultra smooth and you don’t even feel it go threw the guides. I use to use a bimminy to make a loop in the spectra and tie the mono on with a reverse Albright on anything smaller then 80#. That works fine on the small stuff but I just don’t like it on the big stuff. Now that I have got a lot of practice doing the splices they are just as easy as a knot and way smaller.

I remember we had a seminar at the mission bay marlin club about using hollow spectra to tie to the leader. Do you use the metal rings to clamp the ends of the line or do you just slide it in?
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
    I remember we had a seminar at the mission bay marlin club about using hollow spectra to tie to the leader. Do you use the metal rings to clamp the ends of the line or do you just slide it in?
    Russ
    I just slide it in about 3' and use the tag end of the main line to serve the connection. The only special tool needed is about a four-foot piece of single strand wire. Then I slide the mono in about 5’ and use the tag end of the spectra to serve the connection.

Default Spectra

Do you have a favorite Brand name?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
    Do you have a favorite Brand name?????
    I like Powerpro (solid or hollow) or Jerry Brown (hollow) and the cheapest I have found it is on-line @ cabbagekey. They are a couple of bucks cheaper then Squid Co + no tax and free shipping.

Keep in mind you only need about 10' of hollow per reel when pricing.
    Last edited by Freespool; 01-18-2010 at 12:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information