+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spectra vs Mono ?????

Default Spectra

Thanks everyone

Do you prefer hollow or solid??

Mike

Depends on what you fish for! If you have 100 feet of top shot, now all you have is real expensive backing. I'm what you would say New school (I guess) been fishing since I was 8 and never not owned a boat, mono is the way of the past. Are you going to fish the island mostly? I fish 65lb spectra and 55 or 65lb floro, with an 8 foot top shot. I never have a problem getting bit and cuts through kelp. When I fish tuna I Drop my top shot down to 30 or 40lb. I feel it helps make the bait swim more natural. I have dived while my friends are fishing and the floro 100percent disappears. I never use hallow, I don’t like Jerry Brown personal I Think its to slick I tie my own knots if they fail I only have me to blame and Have a shop put it on. It needs to be put on tight or you have back lash hell.

On my trollers I do have a 100 feet of mono because I want the stretch and Zack(FireEscape) will fish mono for butts because of the same reason.

I tie a bimini to worm knot. then a small amout of glue on my knots. Joe

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...ts_Bimini.html

http://www.blackwaterinternationalin...worm_knot.html
    Last edited by Honeygirl; 01-19-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks for the knot link Joe, it's one of the things I can't do for shit! New knots take me days to learn!

1141 PM Joe still working in the lab, I'll send Julio by tomorrow for a few grams of rock, the border has been catching everything lately!
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 01-20-2010 at 08:14 AM.

Very special deal for you!!! HAHA Sleep at work lately has been unheard of. For some reason people crash there cars in the rain. JOB SECURITY!!! The knotts are hard till they click then there 2nd nature. Joe

I have to agree with Joe except I am partial to the JB. When I made my previous statement about the 100’ top shots that was more of a generalization. I use 100’ on most of my trollers. For bottom fishing (rock cod) I use about 50’. For inshore and offshore live bait fishing anywhere from 5’ to 20’. I usually start with 20’ and end up with 5’ after retying. For fishing inshore in the kelp with swim baits the last two years I have been using a kelp cutter rig (straight green spectra) no leader and have had good luck with it.

Also when I am on the boat and need a new top shot fast I still use the bimminy to the reverse Albright or worm knot (same knot). I have had this combo tested and it is a 100% connection. When it comes to knots there are a lot of great ones out there but if the technique is wrong they will fail.

This topic seems to come up often, how do you guys feel about having a class on the subject? Maybe a few other subjects could be covered also.
    Last edited by Freespool; 01-20-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Whats your guys reason for the longer topshot on the bottom fishing? I dont fish rock fish that often.

As for the Jerry brown It feels flat and slick to me, I cant get my knots to not slide off when I'm tieing them. maybe its just be me. Joe

Stopped by my local tackle shop. Didn't realize the $$$$$ of Spectra. I have over 15 reels that need new string. OUCH!!!! Will more than likely do 2/3rds Spectra and the rest straight mono.

Thanks

Mike

I’ve been using spectra for 15 years now for both fresh and saltwater fishing. I’ve use all the connections mentioned and then some. 80# and up is all hollow core JB. 60# and down is solid of various brands. All of mine is green but that’s just me. The white is scary but is much easier to work with. 80# and up is all splices and loop to loop connection. 60# and below I use a uni to uni connection with an occasional Albright or some variation of an albright. The longest topshot is trolling and that’s about a 100’. At least it’s a 100’ at the start of the season. Flylining baits I start at about 15’ of fluro and retie when it gets to about 5’. Iron I use about 10’ of 50 or 60# mono. Jigs for calicos and rockcod ganions are straight tie to 50# and 80# respectively. Because spectra is hard and doesn’t compress like mono knots it does have a tendency to slip. That’s why I use more wraps and add a drop of superglue or zap a gap to the knot.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

I have heard from a few people that you do not want to use Spectra on the Newels I was told that it gets so tight it will break the grafite spools. Just what I have heard not sure if it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
    Stopped by my local tackle shop. Didn't realize the $$$$$ of Spectra. I have over 15 reels that need new string. OUCH!!!! Will more than likely do 2/3rds Spectra and the rest straight mono.
    Thanks

Mike
    It will last and last....you will save in the long run
    My rock cod spectra is over 10 years old.
    much cheaper now than when I got it 10 years ago.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information