+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst deisel truck for towing?

Default Best/Worst deisel truck for towing?

This may not be the right forum, but I know that a lot of people here have a ton of experience with diesel trucks.

My 2006 F250 was stolen 2 days ago and I don't think I'm getting her back. I will be replacing the truck with another diesel (same size) and I am wondering what the "best" truck is.

I have heard people say that the 6.0L Powerstroke Ford (which I owned, loved, and never had a problem with) is horrible and prone to failure. Was I just lucky? Is replacing a Ford F250 with another Ford F250 a mistake?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

-Brian

Love my 7.3 ford diesel. Never any issues. Tows great and gets fair economy.

Where was your's stolen from? So sorry it happened but don't give up yet! I had my 2005 F250 4WD Crew stolen 6 weeks after I got it; I was at the Bali Hai restaurant at a SD Rod & Reel meeting, it was stolen within the first hour and I found out that area is a hotbed for stolen Ford 4WD trucks! Anyway the insurance companies have alot at stake so they hire "bounty hunters" to go out and find them; they don't like those 40-$60K payouts! Mine was found in Mexico within 1 week stored at a police station storage yard between TJ & Rosarito and it took a week and 1500-$1800 to get it back across the border. I lost about 3K in tools but everything else was fine.

I now have 180,000 on it and it has been OK to me; they're not as bulletproof as the 7.3 (I've had 3-7.3 trucks all had 300-400,000 miles still running strong)but the 6.0 has alot more power and the tranny is better too. I lost a turbo @ 88,000, waste gate @ 80,000, and a couple of other minor problems all covered under warranty until 100,000 miles. at 108,000 I lost another waste gate, at 116,000 I replaced the injectors on one side(about $3500). Probably could do the other side now. The truck goes through batteries every 30 months and the originals are not covered but replacements are 36 months. I diligently warm my truck up every morning for 3-5 minutes, and I don't drive it to the metal like a V10 gasser; I accellerate slowly and let the torque build and keep the rig rolling so weight doesn't really affect it. However I know Hijole had problems with his first generation 6.0 and Professor had just about everything break on his everywhere else but local! The 2003 & 2004 engines had more problems than later years; too many people installed chips in the 2003s so in 2004 Ford introduced a recording device in the main computer which monitored boost and other things caused by performance enhancing chips. Many warranty claims were soon denied after that and I believe the stock engine is pretty much power maxed out. I get at least 10mph more pulling my blackman up the tallest grade than in my 99 with the 7.3 Powerstroke, so consequently I don't have to push it as hard. I think the Duramax has a little more power than the 6.0 but the Ford auto 5 speed shifts down more often than the 6 speed Allison and keeps the revs up making the Ford seem faster.

I needed a new 1 ton flatbed in 2007; Ford's first year of the newest twin turbo motor and I didn't want to chance it so I bought a Chevy Duramax instead. My first Chevy since 1978. I've been very happy with the motor/tranny package and I love the Royal Contractor Body, but the basic Chevy Truck holding everything together seem a little below average. smaller, squeekier brakes, interior trim that won't stay on, and doors you have to slam to lock up tight. I have 40,000 on it and it has performed well and nothing tows better than dual rear wheels!

If Ford keeps this current motor in service I'd probably go back to Ford after they get the bugs out except I'll never buy a Ford Twin I Beam truck again, you always eat up those front tires fast . I'd either go 4WD or F450 and up. If you have to stay with a 2006 model, I think you'd be OK just don't put a chip in it!

Hope they find your truck soon!
    Last edited by DOGHOUSE26; 01-21-2010 at 09:35 AM.

I love my 2002 ford 250 4x4, 7.3.( More because its paid for) The guy next door has the 1st gen 6.0 and has had alot of problems, but my brother has a 2006 and its a great truck no problems and nicer inside.

I love my 2002 ford 250 4x4, 7.3.( More because its paid for) The guy next door has the 1st gen 6.0 and has had alot of problems, but my brother has a 2006 and its a great truck no problems and nicer inside.

Thanks for the advice and kind words.

I call the Officer in charge of my case each afternoon to see if anything has come up, but in 3 days nothing has.

Doghouse, to answer your question: It was stolen from my work parking lot.

-Brian

96K mostly problem free on my 2006 6.0 Powerstroke. My neighbor
    uses his 2005 for delivery and he's at 300k. His previous truck was
    a 7.3 powerstroke. It went 400k when he sold it in good running condition.

Ford covered the EGT replacement at 90K. I have a small oil leak and
    it's making a mess of my drive way. Ford have covered multiple gaskets
    getting changed to solve the oil leak. She's going back in next week
    to see if they can actually find that leak. She's paid for and I am hoping
    to not have to replace it for another 3-5 years.

My previous '99 F250 V10 was a workhorse...Went 180k without any
    issues or oil leaks but I was only getting 8 miles to a gallon.
    Last edited by Wa Mei; 01-21-2010 at 08:57 AM.

2000 F250 with a 7.3.
    Pulls like a mule, trouble free.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Where do you work? I'd like to park my F350 there for a few weeks.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Default Truck

I have owned two Ford Diesels, a 97 7.3 and my current 2006 6.0. The 7.3 had what I thought way more power than the 6.0. Never have had a problem with the 06 but it just turned 14k on the odometer. Use it strickly for towing.Interior on the 06 is super plush.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information