+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenacious maintenance/Repairs

Default Tenacious maintenance/Repairs

I hate being silent on this site. I haven't posted any fish reports lately. Seems Tony and Mike are doing all the heavy lifting. Tenacious is running fairly well but, I'm not hearing my turbo winding up at all. Also seems like my RPM indicator is reading about 200 RPM lower than normal (related to turbo?). Since I'm super busy at work, I'm going to have to bring her to the Blackmans to check it out. Hope to have her purring again soon and hopefully I can contribute some fish dope to the site. Really looking forward to a SCI trip or Todos Santos trip and staying on the hook a couple days this Spring.

Scott
    Tenacious

I hear you Scott. I go down to the boat, start it up let it run for 10 minutes and go home. Not good. Riley needs to go in for a little work and then I can start thinking about a voyage somewhere. A batch of nice big reds would be a good start.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Scott

Pull the air filter and spin the turbo with your finger. If it's sat a long time, there could be a small flake of rust built up that's keeping it from turning.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Mike,

Done that. It spins freely and looks pretty clean.
    Tenacious

Fuel filters?

I can rig up a gauge to test the boost if you want to check it first. We'll need to to the boat in the water and run it up to speed with a bit of a load in it.

Mike

If your turbo spins fine then I'd look at your fuel filters first, if there is any water in the filter at all this will be where the algae is concentrated from collection and it continues to grow faster while the boat sits and clog the element.

Jeff,

I guess I need to take turbo 101. So, any algae in the fuel filters can find it's way to the turbo and cake-up in there?
    Tenacious

No, the algae restricts the fuel flow and you first start to notice it ever so slightly @ W.O.T. as it becomes more restricted the more RPM you lose; since most of us don't run @ WOT very often we don't notice it until it's hard to make 3000-3400. A dirty air filter can do the same thing if you're only talking a couple of hundred RPMs

Ok,

I understand. Thanks. I kinda figured that a dirty air filter and old oil would impact the turbo operations. In my case, both have been changed regularily. I do have a little algae in the Racor and I'm sure some in the engine fuel filter. So, I'll chang the engine fuel filter (it's due) and clean out the Racor and replace the 10 Micron filter. Will change out the air filter too (just for fun). Currently she starts right up with no black soot and runs good. Just can't hear any turbo at any RPM (and the turbines spin freely).

I should probably do all of this and try it out again prior to dragging the boat down to the Blackmans shop.

Time and money is all it takes.
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Tenacious

Maybe your're getting old and your hearing is going. I thought I heard my turbo once, but it turned out to be the ringing in my ears.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information