+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6/3 Sorry Charlie

Default 6/3 Sorry Charlie

I know I was suppose to pre fish South Island today for the upcoming halibut tournament. So much for having a plan. I'm just about to the islands when some guy calls out some numbers for the albacore. Being easily sidetracked like I am, I punched them in and find he's only 8 miles on a 200 from the islands. So much for scouting out some halibut spots.

At 32 19.6 by 117 22.5 the temp starts to drop so I side in a couple jigs. Within 5 minutes I've got a double going, one on a blue CD-14 and the other on a purple feather. The feather was on a 2 speed so I went for that rod first.
    This fish proceeded to give me a whippen like no other albacore I've ever hooked before. After several blistering long runs, he's got me well down into the spectra backing with no signs of letting up. Just when I think I'm getting the upper hand the hook pulls.

No time to cry over the one that got away, I've still got one hanging on the rapala. This fish gave up easy and came right to the boat like most albacore.
    I'm on the board with my first albacore of the year and it's a good one, weighing #21.2 at the end of the day.

I get back on the move and get another double going a mile outside the first stop. I really get greedy this time and toss out the bait stick. Full on fire drill, 3 fish hanging and on set of hand to work the rods. I dump one jig fish, bust off the bait fish and the rapala saves the day with another quality fish.

Things slow down after 9:00 so I work my way back up the line to look for halibut. By the time I get back on the spot the current is weak so I called it an early day and headed in.

Mike

The best part of the day was the prices at the truck stop. $1.63 for Red Dye and $1.93 for diesel for the truck.
    Last edited by NoSlack; 01-19-2019 at 07:08 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Hahaha... Mike goes 8 miles from the islands and racks up his Albies for the major tournament lead. Nice job... you win!
    Glenn (Wizard)
    "The Reel One"
    26' Billfisher

Nice job Mike,

Damn! The rest of us sure have our work cut out for us. These are the best trips (short ones). Steve says Monday the 14th H'ell take Tenacious in for the repower. Meantime I picked up a FLOSCAN for $595 from Phantom Marine. Thre listed price from FLOSCAN's website said $685.

How long will the boat be in the shop? If all goes well you'll be back in the game by the end of the month.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Steve said he'd have the boat about 3 days from the time he got it. Shoot after seeing your capabilities to lift engines and with your expertise, I should just have asked you to do the install and paid you for it. You'd probably have the engine in in 3 hours. The wife and kids are out of town for a month to visit her parents. Poor me, I will have to be at home all alone with Tenacious and a new engine! Time to rack up some points!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information