+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrades

Hybrid View

Default Upgrades

Getting some good winter work done on the REEL NASTY
    So far we have replaced the VHF antennas with shakespear galaxi 5225XT antennas. when trying them out off of Carlsbad, I was recieving good clean signals from Newport to point loma and was tranmitting to Dana point & point loma via radio check. It's a good feeling to know you are being heard. Radios have not worked well since I got the boat last Sept. All is good now. Also replaced the Radar with a Furuno that was removed from Charlie's new boat. Thanks again Charlie. Great Radar at a great price. the old radar worked but thats all I could say about it. Installed teak planking in the cabin & under the table. It looks great but what a lot of work, next time I will just replace the carpet. replaced the seat up on the bridge with 9" foam on the seat for a little more elavation aswell as but comfort. Looks awesome. built a 4 cup and plier holder out of teak and mounted it behind the stair to the bridge just below the window so there is still room for the trash can, and last but not least built a teak table that sits over the bait tank for entertainment purposes. The last 2 projects I want to get done before summer are, Coming pads for the cocpit and canvas surround for the bridge. I have pics of the upgrades but dont know how or where to load/post them. One good thing I learned is that West marine price matches, wish I knew that a few thounsand dollers ago. I saved $160 bucks alone just on the anttenas.

Eric

It's always exciting to update your ride with cool stuff. I look forward to checkin it out on the water.
    Tenacious

Replace one of my antennas today with a galaxy 5225XT. What a difference in construction over the previous 5225T model. When the put the X in the model number, they aren't kidding about the extra heavy construction.

The reception seems better at the house with the new one. I can now pick up Wx1 through 4 and that's pretty good for my location.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Default Seat height

Hey Eric,
    I am the previous owner of the "REEL NASTY" . I had the flybridge bench reupholstered and made higher about seven years ago. The height make a big difference. If you get into some big confused seas and are getting pitched around, be careful not to get tossed out . There have been a few times when I have been been coming back in from an all nighter. Running on autopilot and a wee bit sleepy. I used to tie a line around my waste to the seat for peace of mind . If you have raised to seat even higher, keep my advice in mind.
    Usually you will be getting a little beating coming back from 10/10 trench, double 220 area when the wind picks up. The ride home from Butterly and Clemente is more of a surfing ride but you still should be careful.

Trimming is the most important thing to learn to get back in comfortably.
    John Stewart
    ________
    Wong Amat condos
    Last edited by Roper1; 08-21-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Hi John,
    We left the seat at the same height, just had it re upolhstered exactly the way you had it. You kept the boat in great shape so detailing was easy.
    and just added some personal touches. When ever your in the san diego area, you have an open invitations just get a hold of Tom or myself

My number is 619-572-6347

Eric
    Eric 26 Billfisher "REEL NASTY"

Default Thanks for invite

Hey Eric,
    I am glad to here you are enjoying being the owner of a Blackman. I was out in Ca. a few weeks ago for a funeral. Short quick trip. I appreciate the offer to go fishing with you. If you or Tom have questions, post them here and I will give you what I know. While at work I have time and access to internrt. No personal e-mail but I can do it this way.

Hope your season gets rolling soon. I follow the reports daily and sure seems slow. Sept and Oct is best anyhow. Calm seas, no crowds and bigger fish.
    John
    ________
    How To Roll A Blunt
    Last edited by Roper1; 08-21-2011 at 12:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information