+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Blackbird" 23' Billfisher

Welcome to the club Jay, your boat looks outstanding!

love seeing these older models brought back!
    26' billfisher

Wow Jay,

That looks excellent!
    Tenacious

Thanks for the Compliments and Welcomes guys!

Its been slow going. Most of the work should have been done quicker, but I have been taking my time and enjoying it. Always been one to try to figure out how to do things myself if I can. Some things dont turn out as planned, but I learn in the process. It will be good to get tips and opinions from you guys.

Pat, I think you're right about the sand paper. I was wondering if I should have picked up a third box of finer grit. At around $70 a box I ended up buying a rotary buffer instead. I had a orbital that really puts a shine to things, but dosnt have it to heavy cut. The rotary with wool worked good. The sander would have been a lot lighter to run too, my arms were spaghetti for a few weeks.

Almost forgot to thank Larry for setting me up with the boat and turning me on to BOCA. He speaks highly of everyone here. Thanks Larry!

See ya, J
    Last edited by Blackbird; 04-24-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Default Cleaning up an old Hull

You guys are killing me!! My boat was used as a commercial rock cod boat and my hull has so many dings from the cod hooks, I figured it is a lost cause to make it look pretty. I am sure Blackman would charge me a few grand to clean up the hull. Steve told me it could be buffed out to a high gloss. But I think that the dings would probably show more. I asked a fiberglass guy about some work and he kind of walked away and acted like he did not want to get into the project. Since then I cleaned up the back deck rails. Had the lower aluminum portion of the rails powder coated and installed new mahogany wood rails on top of the existing aluminum rails. Rigged it so I can raise a section, on both sides, to make it easier for persons to come aboard or bring in larger fish onto the deck. Seems like the only thing that I did was make the rest of the boat look bad. (half empty or half full) Looking at redoing the 3 deck hatches for my next project and changing the deck color from navy grey to light blue. I still need to post some pics, before and after. I feel better now! I need to thank God for what I have, instead of whinning.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gagnon View Post
    You guys are killing me!! My boat was used as a commercial rock cod boat and my hull has so many dings from the cod hooks,
    Al
    It can be done. My friend Allen's Stringari was a commercial Lobster boat with teak rub-rails on one side. We removed the rails and filled hundreds of screw holes...A little Proline LP paint and she looks like new.

Yup, I agree, it can be done. It just takes time.

I look at the work I've done in the past six months and figure a boat yard with a couple guys working on it could have done it in a week or so, but you make it your own in the process. As for all the dings, nothing wrong with a boat with some experience on it either.

Post some pics up Al, lets see what you got. I'd love to see more threads loaded heavy with resto pics.

For me, the last two weekends have been a wash with little work put in. I've got some good plans to take care of in the next few weeks. Will post more pics when I get there.

See ya, J

Back to work on the Blackbird. Trouble is I am working on at least 7 different projects at the same time so it seems like its going really slow. Spent last weekend installing the bait tank, re-finishing some of the interior woodwork, and installing new hull hardware.

The new tank going in is a Offshore 65. Prep work first. Was able to get all of the old sealant off the deck with the plastic bristle 3M roloc discs, green color. They would pull up the sealant without chewing up the deck finish. The tank is wider than the Blackman tank. The deck hatch rings had to be notched to fit. This tank going in is not new, just new to me. The previous must have had a crowned deck that the bottom of the tank was shaped to fit. I never noticed it when I picked it up, but there was a 1/2" gap in the center which made the tank rock back and forth. Doh! Marked 1/2" up all the way around and shaved it down with a grinder / flapper wheel. A little fine tuning when set back in and it was flush. Waiting on mounting hardware and 1 1/2" hose.

Because the plumbing leaves the tank on the opposite side than the Blackman tank, the hoses would have to make a hard 180 degree bend to get bellow deck, followed by a 90 degree bend to get around the fuel tank. If the tank did not have the window, it could be flipped around and would work fine. I wanted the window forward to view from inside. After thinking it over, decided to move the new thru hull to the opposite side of the transom, that would let the hoses make one long sweeping bend to the stern. A 1 1/2" ball valve/tail piece will be on the back side of the thru-hull. The old thru hull hole was filled with a new underwater light. This works out good as its on the same side as the swim step ladder to light it up for night dives. Hope to get the trim tabs on this weekend.

Last edited by Blackbird; 07-10-2010 at 12:50 AM.
    "Blackbird"
    1983 23' Billfisher

Jay
    The boats really lookin good. That bait tank your installing is massive. Are you changing her name our will she still be Secret spot?
    TKS for the reports.
    Mike
    Royal Hook

Jay,

Curious to know what brand of thru hull light you put in there. Is it the Dr. LED light? Do you like it? Does it put out alot of light?

Scott
    Tenacious

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information