• Hamachi Girl

5 55.56%
  • Linguica Marie

4 44.44%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Sea Trial + Name my boat.

Default 1st Sea Trial + Name my boat.

A pretty major accomplishment happened for me last Sunday. I got a splash my first boat!

After about 40 hours of wrenching, cleaning, painting, and more wrenching the newish 5.7 Vortec (replacing the grenaded 5.0 Vortec the boat came with and) coughed to life. It took some time to fiddle with the cooling system but things got sorted out and we took it to Lake Hodges for it's first Sea-Trial. The replacement 5.7 really ran like a top and put the boat up on plane with minimal throttle application. The only thing that didn't work were the trim tabs. Some idiot (me) forgot to hook up the ground wire to the trim tab pump. So we only saw 27knots before I felt uneasy about being trimmed to starboard. That was with a 1/2 tank of gas and three people on the boat. I still had 1/3rd throttle left.

Some pics of my Dad Ed, my Fiancé Molly (aka CFO), and me.

Stubborn Portagee Skipper

I'm thinking another sea trail would be a good idea before we start hitting it hard, so maybe tomorrow I'll take it to the lake again after work, or take it down to Mission Bay to check things over. It would be interesting to see what this baby will do flat out with full fuel and bait tank.

Oh... and since I splashed it, it's time to decide on a name.

1) Hamachi Girl - If it's one thing Molly loves is Hamachi Sashimi, well, not as much as Uni, but darn close.

2) Linguica Marie - Molly thought this one up. I guess a salute to my Portuguese determination (stubbornness she calls it). Something everybody in Pt. Loma would get for sure.

I dunno... two great names and I can't decide!

regards,

Allan
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
    Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
    1981 23' Albacore Special

Looks good and fast. First one ive seen without the tower. Im lucky to see 17kts.
    23 Fishmachine

Looking good Allan. Nice to see another 23' come back to life.

If we get enough 23's in the club we might re-take the majority and have a shot at pushing a few new rules through. First rule change will be double tournament point for all boats under 24 feet.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Nice!!! Congrats. Just in time for fishing season.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    Looking good Allan. Nice to see another 23' come back to life.

If we get enough 23's in the club we might re-take the majority and have a shot at pushing a few new rules through. First rule change will be double tournament point for all boats under 24 feet.

Mike
    It's nice to know our own Administrator didn't have a hidden agenda before The Founder passed the keys on.

Very nice renovation, I vote for Hamachi Girl!

Looking good Allan,

Very nice topless ride.

I had to vote Hamachi Girl for the same reason as Molly.

Mike, would a lmb, trout, or catfish get you on the board for a wildcard? Just wonderin'

oh yeah, put me down for one vote on the rules augmentation for the 24' and under class

J

Jay

If it's caught by anyone on your Blackman, it counts.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Nice looking boat. Even if the rules change doesn’t go through you’ll be the odds on favorite at the Blackman races.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Very good looking boat!

Default 2nd Sea Trial: Gettin' the deck bloody

I took the day off of work yesterday to tie up a few loose ends like sorting out the new trailerlights and taking it down to Mission Bay for a 2nd sea trial... you know, for peace of mind. So with the boat loaded with lunch, plenty of cold sodas, and a few fishin rods (for sea trial reasons) we headed to the gas station to make my first of many contributions to the Shell Oil Corporation. Fuel gauge read 1/2 tank and it took 57 gallons to top it off. So with my wallet $180 lighter we jumped on the 15 South and headed towards Dana Landing.

After splashing the boat, we headed east to where we could open it up for a stretch. With a full tank of gas, filled bait tank, four people, rods, tackle, lunch and sodas we maxed the boat out at 31.6knts @ 4400rpm. Throttle was firewalled. We were headed into a pretty good wind too. I'm pretty happy with that considering it's still using the 2V Holley the 5.0 came with.

So with the good engine vital signs, we thought we should go pick up a 1/2 scoup of bait and head out to La Jolla... you know, for sea trial purposes.

We headed out of the breakwater and towards the La Jolla kelp beds. Seas were not glassy but not too rough, I'd say typical San Diego. The boat cruised excellent at 3100rpms which kept us as a steady 21knts. Not bad at all. The ride was dry and I wasn't getting the living crap kicked out of me. I was in fact, a very happy boy.

We put some Rapalas in the water and started trolling the kelp. It didn't take long before a reel was screaming. Serious jig strike. I was so stoked. My youngest nephew Ethan grabbed the rod and went to work:

Results: Not bad for a sea trial.

We continued to troll around getting a few other hits but nothing landed. Just bite makrs in the middle of the jigs.

We saw Connie out there.

At about 5:30 we decided to head back to the barn. We put the boat on the trailer and I managed to bust the handle of the winch off with my super human strengh. Thankfully it was only a couple of inches from where it needed to be and I could still hook up the safty cable. Turn out it's a good thing that happened because with the boat set back that two inches it towed a lot better on the ride home. We got home, gave the boat a well deserved bath. So tired but so happy. Just a fantastic day with my dad (aka The Chief), Molly, and my fish killing nephew Ethan.

So the voting is 50/50 on the name so far. I think yesterdays outing has sealed the deal though.

Put Hamachi Girl down for one Yellowtail.
    Allan C.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
    Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
    1981 23' Albacore Special

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information