+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting of radar antennas

Default Mounting of radar antennas

I was checking out Time Out's radar antenna and arch (thanks again Russ)and while on J dock I noticed that several of the Billfishers have their antennal mounted on the arch but it looks like the antenna is even or just below the bimini. For those of you with their radar mounted like this, do you experience any interference or degraded radar perfromance from the trons hitting the bimini stainless bars? Russ, I only took a couple items from Time Out. Can't wait to try out some of my new fishing gear.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Tenacious

Hey Scott,

As with most 26' Skipjack, my radome sits on top of the SS radar arch just
    above the bimini. I don't remember having issues with interference. I have
    an older Furuno 1731 Mark II radar...

Scott

For me the unit works great, we have picked up birds on the radar, weather fronts moving in, and of course several Ass H. in Parkers running up behind me at 30 knots in the middle of the night.

I have two VHF ant. mounted on the arch and have no problem using them with the radar on.

To lower mine you remove the top bolt lower it down and replace the bolt it holds it in place fine.

And your welcome for the fishing gear.

If you come by at the end of this month you will find me in a new slip. Phil Silva sold the Firexcape and I will be moving into his slip. Now I can crash into the back of the Knot Now. Sorry Phil

Russ

I think Jeff and Phil are glad to see you move closer so they can use your hose and boat soap.

Don't let Russ fool you, they wanted to be closer to the Coors Light Distributor; they kept tripping over the dock cleats every time they went back for refills!

I'm going to tell John you said that Jeff.

Rob the mac's I steal from Jeff's tanks were getting sea sick with that long walk down the dock. Now I can build a tube from his tanks to my side of the dock, wont even have to leave the boat to get bait.

Russ

Alan and Russ,

Thanks for the feedback. Hope to have the radar arch finished this weekend and the radar operating smoothly too.
    Tenacious

Glad Russ recommended that I just convert my existing arch to fold down. This will save me lots of $$ in the long run as I will be able to pull into the gas stations near my house instead of running all the way to SOCAL truck stop or paying the big $$ on the water. It will also allow me to get the antenna up on the arch to see 360 degrees (maybe avoid getting run over by cargo ships in the fog) and give me better range. The job is almost complete. It was rather difficult cutting the stainless 16 guage sheets but, they are done. Now I just need to drill the holes in the boat and install the arch with 5/8' bolts. Oh ya, then I have to obtain the 16" radar mount on the arch so that the antenna will see over by bimini and get away from my noggin! Will also need to cut the antenna wires to run them through the arch then re-splice them. It's all just time and/or money, right?
    Tenacious

Default Hope I'm not too Late........

Let me just remind you Marc had a full head of hair and Russ was the lead scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Pasadena responsible for the first lunar landing BEFORE they installed their unit on the arch. It didn't happen overnight but you can see the results.

Jeff

Do I need to comment on the parts of your body that have shriveled up and fallen off because of the location of your Radar. I may be brain dead (can"t argue with that) but I still have my completly useless balls.

Russ

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information