+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting of radar antennas

Quote Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
    Jeff

Do I need to comment on the parts of your body that have shriveled up and fallen off because of the location of your Radar. I may be brain dead (can"t argue with that) but I still have my completly useless balls.

Russ
    Kids that's another reason you should always read the manual before turning the unit on; it was years before I discovered I could block out transmission from the rear of the radome and then my crew wouldn't have given me the "Captain Itchy Balls" nickname. The positive side is now we don't have to waste precious seconds during intimate times by having to turn on the light and try to find something to slip a condom on!

Lessons learned from doing this job. If you are going to fabricate stainless side plated to go between the arch/starboard and the flybridge, use 1/2" bolts. I drilled 5/8" holes in the flybridge and purchased the bolts before I attempted to drill 5/8" holes in the stainless sideplates and radar arch. I could not find anywhere that sold anything bigger than 1/2" cobalt drill bits. Ended up drilling 1/2" and then using a grinder bit to make the holes big enough to accept the 5/8" bolt. Took forever. Of course I don't have a metal shop either. Not sure you gain anything by going to 5/8" vice 1/2" bolts.
    Tenacious

Hey Scott,

Wish I would had seen this sooner. I use the Irwin Cobalt Unibits to drill out stainless at work all the time. The bits dont like it too much, but I've used them on material up to 1/4" thick. Any hardware store should have them. Check em out here:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bit...alt-step-drill

They wont chatter or hang up and twist the drill right out of your hands like a twist drill can do. Use lots of lube and watch the heat of the bit and your piece. Stainless will work harden at a certain temp so keeping it and the bit cool are key. They wont last forever, but work well and stay centered. They work really good on fiberglass too, clean holes, no splinters.

See ya, J

Thanks for the tip J,

I knew that someone on this site would have some experience with these bits. The job is done and I am happy with it. I'll post some pics this week. Good info for future reference.

Scott
    Tenacious

Scott the only problem we had was getting all the wires into the smaller size tubing. Did you run all your wires down one side like we did?

Russ

Russ,

I have not run the cables yet. I am worried that I will have the same problem. The only wires that I need to run are the radar cable (about 1/2" diameter), the anchor light, the deck light, and the GPS antenna. It's going to be tight! I will mount my VHF antenna onto the Flybridge now since, I don't want the extra weight and tall antenna putting extra stress on my radar arch. I can't imagine how you guys could get all that cable into that small pipe? Vaseline? OK, I know I just opened a can of worms!
    Tenacious

yes Jeff will have fun with that statement

We decided to install the cables when we had the arch on the ground. I poured Electrical lube into the arch and pulled all the wires at one time just stagger them.

We pulled 2 VHF cables 1 Radar,two light power cords it went through easy the Radar connector was the problem you have to cut the hole large enough to turn it as it comes out. (Easy Jeff Down Boy).

Did you replace the wood infill on the arch with plastic ?

Russ

Yes Russ,

I did replace the wood infill with starboard. The only thing which I have not yet done is to inject some penetrating resin into the holes which I drilled in the flybridge. I figure that this will be a good thing to do, especially in the holes which aren't used much and don't always have a bolt in them (like the holes for the trailering position). Maybe this will help with keeping pesky wood-boring bugs out and moisture too.
    Tenacious

Have you cut the hole for the wires yet Make it as large as possable

I found it easer to pull if the arch was on the ground and use losts of lube

(Not a word Jeff)

Russ

Russ,
    I have not run the cables yet. I still need to cut the hole in the arch a bit bigger. I am awaiting Jerry's weld shop" to finish welding my radar mount. The wife has been nice to me this week so, I haven't spent much time working on the boat. I plan to finish the entire job this weekend assuming I get the radar mount today. The radar mount costs me $21. for materials and is suppose to cost no more than $75 to weld. I'm happy as I was considering buying a Seaview mount for $370.
    Tenacious

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information