+ Reply to Thread

Thread: #3500 axels

Default #3500 axels

I have a pair of 5 year old torsion axles that came off my trailer. When I had the trailer made I asked and paid for #5000 axles so I would have a #10,000 trailer for my #8,000 boat.

A year or two in I start thinking the trailer isn't handling the load any better than my old #7000 trailer and start working over FE Trailer to help me out. After a season or two of getting the run around from them I went to San Marcos to talk to UFP, the manufacture of the axles.

They looked up the serial numbers on the axles and offered to make me a new set of #5000's at their cost, complete with brakes, rotors and bearings.

The new #5000 are a good 100 pounds heavier than the old ones so I believe someone made a mistake and installed #3500 axles originally. Shame on FE for not stepping up and a big thank you to UFP for making it right.

If someone is looking to make a small utility trailer, I've got a couple free axles sitting in the driveway. The hubs turn very free but the brake rotors are not usable. 75" to the outside of the flange

Bring your jock strap, these babies are close to 200 pounds each.

Mike noslack@cox.net

NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

That's Bullshit, did you confront FE with the serial numbers? If it was UFP's fault then I guess they did you OK, but if FE misordered them, I'd #@$%& them hard!

No one ever said there was a problem but they were real quick to offer up a new set for what it was going to cost me to put new brakes and rotors on the old ones.

I was at the 5 year mark and needed to drop 5 or 6 hundred on brake components and hubs so 8 bills for all new running gear was an easy decision. I couldn't pass up the offer and I didn't ask any questions.

Over the past couple years I've had guys ask what I thought of FE. They all get the same speech. Well built trailer,great guys in the shop but the management there will give you the used car salesmen vibe. Get EVERYTHING in writing or it won't get done.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information