+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Breather

Default Air Breather

The air breather is leaking engine oil. At first I thought it was coming from the rubber gasket thet seals the breather. I replaced the gasket and I still have the same leak. It looks to be coming from the seam on the bottom of the breather. I replaced the breather six months ago, anyone have any ideas? Should the oil be up in the breather?

Engine model AQAD40A.
    23 Fishmachine

I run my engine a 1/2 quart low of the full line on the dip stick. It seems to help with the oil coming out the crank case breather.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

John from Blackman's talked me into installing an aluminum housing inline foam filament filter similar to what goes in VW Dunebuggy motors to catch any oil before it gets sucked into the turbo. It did keep my air filter cleaner longer if I cleaned the element with gas every oil change (100 hours). I still have it if anybody is interested.

Jeff,

You actually experienced the oil leaking from the breather with your AD-41? I also see this in mine. Thought it was a small head gasket leak. Seems like we all have something in common here. Does the new D4 do this?

I'd be interested in the in-line filter if you still have it.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Tenacious

It's oil and crankcase fumes from blowby which creates the pressure as engines get older. I still have it Scott so we can meet up when you're ready. The new D4 has a factory filter that's supposed to be changed every 200 hours.

Jeff ill take it if no one else wants it. or just a picture so i can make one. Joe

Thanks Jeff,
    Interesting that Volvo didn't make the factory filter for the AD-41. Looks like Joe is interested in the filter too. Maybe you can bring it to the BBQ and Joe and I can compete for it? Push ups (nah), biggest WSB (nah), bikini contest (scary thought). I give up. Just give it to Joe.
    Tenacious

Scott you asked first, it's yours. I'll take a pic of it and send it to Joe, you can get them at stores like Off Road Warehouse, or any dunebuggy type shop. The only thing you have to modify is your Volvo Air Cleaner lid and ditch the current 1/8-1/4" hose to the the filter; the breather hose needs to be enlarged to 3/8" or 1/2", I can't remember. You need to drill out the lid to accept a hose barb ; I think I used a small plastic thru hull and it worked just fine.

Thanks Jeff,
    Name the time and place and I'll stop by to pick it up. What kind of beer do you drink?

Scott
    Tenacious

Default Common problem

This is a real common problem on the 41A.
    I'm not sure about the 40 though.
    There are a number of fixes.
    Back when I had one I fixed mine by:
    Get a valve cover from a 41B.
    Get an inspection cover to replace the mount for the breather.
    Get a Racor CCV (4500 I think).
    Route the port at the top of the new valve cover to the CCV.
    Route the CCV into the air filter.
    Be done with the bad design.

There were other ways to do it but this ended up looking pretty good and there were never any more issues.
    I have a power point presentation on the entire fix if anybody wants it I can email it to you.

Peter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information