+ Reply to Thread

Thread: outdrive knock

Default outdrive knock

Just a inquiry.In drydock started engine with earmuffs on and runing good after 6mo. of non use.Only noted a soft tappng sound in the outdrive.Tap-Tap-Tap about 3 per sec. Checked oil and its good.Did bellows replacement last and its running fine since.Any ideas? I'm not sure I have a problem. kevin

If the noise is there when you are out of gear, the only thing turning is the input shaft. U-joints and 1 bearing on the forward side of the upper gear housing will be the only things turning. There are two support bearings in the bellhousing that will be moving also. Don't think the noise would carry back to the drive if one of those bas bad.

Use a poor man's stethoscope (big screwdriver) to locate the noise. Put the handle tight to your ear and touch different areas of the drive with the tip. You'll be surprised how well it amplifies the sound. Bearings will sound like high speed ticking, u-joins might sound more like a thump.

Mike
    Last edited by NoSlack; 05-23-2010 at 03:53 PM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Was the O/D up or down? She should be all the way down when testing,you may get a slight knock from u joints when shes up.
    Royal Hook

Default outdrive knock

Mike thanks for the guidance.I'll pursue that.The drive was down when the the noise was noted.When you say bell housing is that the top where the oil check is? kevin

The Bell housing is inside the boat and bolted to the back of the motor; the other end is bolted to the Transom shield.

Kevin....If the sound you are hearing is coming from the top of your outdrive when at idle ( kind of sounds like marbles rolling around ) mine does the same thing. I have been told by many volvo mechanics that it is normal. zack

I have another thought that may be the the noise.
    If you have a rattle in neutral only and when in gear the noise is gone, it could be loose springs in the vibration dampener attached to the flywheel. Check to see if the noise is in neutral only!
    When in gear, the dampener flexes or tightens from the applied torque and tightens the springs.
    Mike
    Last edited by Royal Hook; 05-24-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Royal Hook

Just months after I bought the Hijole I took it back to Blackman's because of the rattle in the OD. When Don heard it he said it was normal, OK.
    21 years later, he was right.
    Hijole

Zack,
    Whats goin on? Hey Gary said that you may be intrested in a Metal Halide version of the Underwater Light. I have stock right now to put one together. Let me know either way. Hope all is good with you, and that your gettin some of that Yellow down your way.

Thanks
    Josh
    310-869-6573

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information