+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel question

Default Diesel question

I bought a 2010 Ford F250 2 months ago. Coming home in traffic last Thursday the truck completely shut itself off WHILE I WAS DRIVING. I wrestled it into the disabled lane, put it in park, and turned the key off. I tried to start it and the starter was fine, but the motor would not fire up. Had it towed to Ford dealership and they notified me that is was a bad injector....

If a single injector goes, will that disable the whole truck? I'm no diesel mechanic, but is seems like a dead injector would only effect one cylinder?

Any help/advice before I pick my truck up on Tuesday?

Thanks,

-Brian
    Last edited by brian_g; 05-22-2010 at 02:53 PM.

That problem sounds a lot like the " bad cam position sensor" problem on the 7.3 power strokes.

The new 6.0 engines have a lot more computer controls so who know what a bad injector would do to engine. Does seem like over kill to shut the truck down for something like that.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Yep, my 2002 7.3 has gone through 3 cam sensors.

Default Power stroke diesel

Hey Joe a freind of mine works on the Ford diesels he has his own shop in Murrieta his name is Jesus and he owns Murrieta Diesel he can help you for sure here is his number 951 304-9301 just tell him the Fred told you to call him i am sure he can fix your problems .

Joe,

Not sure but, at least you have the truck under full warranty right? I would make them fix it and explain the problem to you in detail. That is kinda scarey. My 2003 7.3 hasn't encountered the CAM problem. Hopefully it won't. Good luck. At least you weren't towing the boat when it happened...were you?
    Tenacious

I thought 2003 was 6.0 engines; when did they make the switch?

I"t doesnt sound like a single injector problem unless the computer overrided the system when the injector went bad.I would guess that is what happened because of the high presure that the new diesel injector pumps put out.

I have the 07 ford f250 with the 6.0 and i had a similar problem. There is a injector control box desigined to tell each cylinder when to fire and how much fuel is needed. 1000$ dollar item from ford but is covered under the 100,000 mile power stroke warranty. I cant remember what the part name was, but Ford covered it. It also shut my truck down completely but lucky for me I broke down at the marina and just spent a couple of extra days on the boat.

Got the truck back yesterday afternoon. The Service guy said that when the injector (cylinder #3) went bad, the computer governing the motor set it in "limp/disabled" mode. As a safety mechanism for the motor, it will not allow a re-start until the injector issue is resolved.

I told him that the truck completely shut off (i.e. no power steering/brakes/etc.). He said that was really strange but did not have an answer for why it might occur.

At any rate, they took great care of me/my truck, got the issue resolved, and had me back on the road in a couple days. That's pretty much all I could ask for.

Very happy to be back in my F250!

Thank you guys for all the info/advice. It made me sound like I actually knew something when I posed my questions to the service guy.

-Brian

At least you were not crossing the railroad tracks when it happened!

WTF why not in limp mode?

Can you imagen if that happened going down a big grade towing your boat or any loaded trailer. (Mad Hatters wild ride)

Russ

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information