+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sweet redemption(another 50lber)

Default sweet redemption(another 50lber)

After Fridays fishing trip and trip ending boat crash, this is exactly what I needed to end the week. I was at work Sat and got a call (The reef is biting full speed can you get off early? ) The moons were aligned and my morning relief took the rest of my shift for me. We left for a spot only 11miles from my slip at 230am and by 315 we were on anchor. I was stoked to see only two other boats on the spot and I knew both of them. In my head I was thinking WOW, maybe this time the word didn't get out. Well by 8am I was dead wrong. There were more than 40 boats and most of them were like a moth to a flame, just Sunday cruisers going to fish anywhere. I had to bite my tongue a few times. We had 2 million dollar yachts run over our lines 30 feet behind the boat and one anchor within 25 feet from me. Boater etiquette has really gone out the window and in that neck of the woods I guess if you have money you own the ocean. The morning was pretty slow and by 830 I was not happy with my spot of choice. I had seen only one confirmed fish caught and two brake offs in the same depth range. After getting a call from a buddy that they had just put one on we moved to 70 feet of water, which seemed to be the depth the fish were running. About 15 minutes goes by and my stomach is like “its time to get the bucket out!!!” Well that was the key. As I’m sitting there in the pilot house pants around my ankles I hear, “Joe I'm on!” I make quick work of the situation and bust out the door to clear the million rods we’re fishing with and get the gaff. Curtis makes quick work of the fish fishing 65 spectra and 65 floro. The fish rises in the crystal clear blue water and we both say, “Holy F!!k That's a big one!” A few seconds later, I slide the gaff into the second 50lber on the boat this week!!!

Oh and the best part is on the radio I hear a familiar voice, Alan(Wamei), say, “DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN!“ They were sitting just a few boat lengths off my bow.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Honeygirl; 06-14-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Nice work Joe. Looks like the bucket might be your new go to move when things are slow.

I take it the boat is OK after doing battle with the dock Friday?

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Nice Fish Joe! I think they're on the move along the beach. The tip of Pt Loma kelp had a show yesterday AM with the 1/2 day boats getting a few and my kids roommate getting a 41# in a skiff next to the Jig Strike. The place was packed by noon when we went by up the line.

Was it on squid or finbait?

Mike, The boats looks to be all cosmetic although I haven't pulled it out of the water yet. Everything that I can see looks to be above the water line.

Jeff, she Was caught on fin bait, The bite really went stupid further up the cost from me at gray light.

NICE!! Guess the relief crew gets a slab or two. Its time to get out.
    Royal Hook

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information