+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yanking Engine and Pan Gasket?

Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate the input.
    Is it six or eight bolts? I was looking at the schematic and it looks like six. Mine, of course, are all rusty.
    How high do you have to lift the gear head to get it to clear the lower case?
    My new swimstep may be in the way.
    Why do you remove the lag bolts instead of the big nut that secures the motor mount to the motor? Isn't there a concern for the stringer and then re-alignment?
    Which parts are guaranteed to be needed? The rings from the clamping ring?
    What else?
    First though, I am going to try, as Mike suggested, to tighten the pan bolts a little.

peter

Peter

There are 8 blots in the clamp ring. I took mine out for the first time when the boat was 25 years old and they came right out. Use a 6 point socket if the heads are a little rounded off. As far as the o-ring goes, I've never replaced it. I clean it up, lube it up and re-use it. Never had a problem yet.

Upper gear box needs to be lifted up about 2 inches to pull it off. There will be a few shims under the bearing. Just collect them and reinstall all that you take out. When you pull the gear box, bag the top of the drive to keep the dirt out. Don't forget to take a quart of oil out of the drive before you unbolt it.

If your bellows are a couple years old, this would be a great time to replace them as well. Also pull the S shaped water pickup hose off the outdrive and see how the end of the water pickup looks. I find the end starts to corrode off at the 3 or 4 year mark.

Mike

Bolts are already out
    Last edited by NoSlack; 10-22-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Hi I don't know if your done yet! but I also was shure i had a pan leak, got a haulf turn on all the pan bolts,cleaned the engine well and painted it.Fired her up again and after 15 minutes found the oil leak.Turned out to be an o-ring on the backside of the part bellow the oil cooler. But in shopping around pete the owner of cogswell marine in chula vista was the cheepeston the oil pan gasket.Also I figured if I had the pan off should replace the oil pump.But very expensive part.Cogswell also has a rebuild kit for I beleave $85.00 hope this helped.Capt.Dan Tag Team
    Last edited by Tag Team; 10-22-2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: left out oil pan gasket

If you're unfamiliar with it, make sure you dig out the electrical plug for the harness instead of undoing all of the electrical connections and don't ask why I would suggest that. Also, don't move the bottom nut on the motor mounts as it is the adjustment for motor / outdrive alignment. It's also a great time to evaluate the condition of the little aluminum elbow that the S shaped hose clamps on to and I second the boot maint suggestion.

If someone is offering help, I never turn it down, it's always quicker and more fun.

By the way Mike, that outdrive and bootstripe look real familiar - thanks again for schoolin me!
    Brian on Old Blue, out

Further Thanks.
    I still only count six bolts. I'm not sure but maybe there are six clamping bolts and two more for something else but I only see six on mine and I bought a used "clamping ring kit" on ebay which has the ring, two donuts, three plates and six bolts. I don't know if I'll need it but for fifty bucks I figured I could have it on hand.
    I haven't checked the pan bolts yet, this weekend.
    The boots are new as I had the outdrive off a few months ago.
    Stupid boats!

P

Just went out and looked at my 280. 6 bolts is right, I don't know where I came up with 8.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Default Update!

Sometimes I love being wrong.
    There is a cover on the back of the oil cooler.
    I believe it is a relief check of some sort.
    It is only made out of thin steel and it was kinda rusty.
    That is where the oil was coming from.
    Dripped perfectly on the juncture of the block and pan.
    I bought a new cover and o-ring.
    Unfortunately the bolts that held it on/in were in bad shape as well. So two hours of messing with it yesterday and I finally got the old cover off (in a few pieces) but still need the new bolts.
    Anyhow, better than pulling the engine.
    Also, I was changing the exhaust check valve. I bought replacement rivets from Volvo, I figured they were expensive ($3.09 each x 6) but I wasn't sure the size, material, etc so I would bite the bullet and buy "genuine Volvo Penta Parts."
    What showed up? Three different sizes and two materials (aluminum and stainless) all for the same part number.
    I bought a box of the right size and aluminum this morning from McMaster Carr for $7.79 (100 pcs).

Thanks again for the help.
    It won't go to waste it will always be in the archives for next time.

Peter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information