+ Reply to Thread

Thread: coggswell marine

Default coggswell marine

Ok had some work done by coggswell marine about 3 weeks ago. I was told @the time they would work up an estimate before working on it. The reason I had brought the boat to them was for a charging problem or electrical. Anyways I also left them A new alternator just incase it was that.So a week and a half goes by, and I call to find out whats up!.So then I was told the boat was done, but I need to come by tomorrow because the bill wasn't finnished.I was like what happend to the estimate? a long pause and then oh Rick didn't call? Ah no! Oh sorry.So then I thought maybe it wasn't to much.Ya write wishfull thinking, it was $1,158.00 but I was told it should of been $2,000.00 I was pissed but stuck in a hard place, if I refuse to pay then he will charge storage, and hold the boat hostage.So I paid it.I still feel like I should take him to court, but what do you guys think? Supposedly the alternator was shot,some wiring was wrong,and the water pump impeller was improperly done even though the temp never got up there.Oh and the oil cooler I just had gone through by Ace radiator was leaking, because of them leaving a gob of solder in the way of the o-ring.SO had to be remachined?anyways at a$135.00an hour it ads up quick.The kicker is today I took the old alternator in to have it cheked out,and it tested perfect.What would you do? Just wanted to worn outhers.And they claim John Benson is a part changer,not a machanic.Though I like John!where else is a honnest shop if John Benson is busy?

Wow,

Sorry to hear about your experience there. I can't say that I've ever used Cogswell. I've heard good things and bad about their service. I've got a couple stories about that shop but, probably not fair to share on this forum. Let's just say that I will never take my boat there. I've had good experiences at Admiralty Marine. The couple guys who worked on my engine in the past there were very personable, offered to show me exactly what they did, and they actually attend Volvo service training classes at the North Carolina Volvo plant. Steve Blackman told me that Admiralty is the only place he recommends here in San Diego (if John's not available).

Scott
    Tenacious

I would just wait for John. I trust him and he does good work. Once you establish a repoire with him you can't beat the service. I am mechanically illiterate! So I rely on John a lot. He has done emergency trips down to my boat the day before a big trip to look at a potential problem. Most of the time there isn't one, but I get paranoid. He will tighten the belts, etc. and not charge me.

One time there was a problem with his work, he came down immediately re-did everything and fixed it. No complaints and of course no charge!

I have nightmare stories working with local companies that have cost me thousands of dollars.

Just recently...My buddy has a 38' Egg Harbor "Hula Girl". His motor's were blowing lots of black smoke and running poorly. He spent over $4k with a company (leaving their name out as courtesy) and the problem still existed. All the while his buddy who is a top notch Mercedes diesel mechanic by profession was telling him what the problem is. He figured the marine mechanics knew best. Turns out his buddy was right all along. He had to shit can the company, had his buddy come down and fixed it. $4k wasted!
    Last edited by Libre; 11-18-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    26' Billfisher - Libre

The answer is here. Been the other route and it's a waste of time & $$$$.
    Yale
    "Riley"
    32' Blackman Sportfisher

Default cogswell follow up!

Thank you guys for your take on the matter!I never try to slander anyone,or wine like a baby,but have since learned a valuable lesson and should have known by seeing the guys walk around with beer @10am that I was gambling!not that a beer is a bad thing,but I think it doesn't belong in the work place, at least not tell after work.But when I had romaine Electric test my alternator,and it came up excellent, and Cogswell had told me mine was burned out. I question there integrity,and honesty.And then Mike the manager from Romaine Electric told me his friend a couple years ago, had a new volvo penta engine that was purchased through cogswell. Than when he took the boat out he had problems,it took 6 months to resolve by going to court.Because cogswell said it was volvo penta and they said it was cogswell.Ended up being cogswell,and the next case that morning was also aginst them.I think I learned my lesson.Thank you all for your ear,and addvice.Capt.Dan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information