+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diesel Truck Smog????

Thumbs down Diesel Truck Smog????

Just recieved my DMV renewal for my 07 Ford powerstroke and it says smog certificate required?? What's up???

Mike

Starting this year a 98 or newer diesel vehicle, with a GVW of 14,000 or less needs to go to the smog station.

For me the test consisted of opening the hood to verify the dipstick, oil fill cap and the crankcase vent recovery valve were there. He also ran the truck at idle for a minute with the computer plugged into the diagnostic plug and did a visual on the tail pipe for smoke.

If you have a power chip, I would make shure it's set back to factory before you go in.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

I just noticed on my 2007 Chevy 1 Ton Duramax Flatbed renewal I have to get it smogged too. If 23 would have passed we wouldn't have to do it. $808 just to register it for 1 year, plus the f'n smog fee. At least with Global Warming we get longer tuna seasons and more marlin up this way, what's so bad about that?

Default Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    I just noticed on my 2007 Chevy 1 Ton Duramax Flatbed renewal I have to get it smogged too. If 23 would have passed we wouldn't have to do it. $808 just to register it for 1 year, plus the f'n smog fee. At least with Global Warming we get longer tuna seasons and more marlin up this way, what's so bad about that?
    Jeff, I like the way you think. If I pull the catalytic converter out of my truck will it help for next season or is it to late.
    Eric 26 Billfisher "REEL NASTY"

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
    Starting this year a 98 or newer diesel vehicle, with a GVW of 14,000 or less needs to go to the smog station.

For me the test consisted of opening the hood to verify the dipstick, oil fill cap and the crankcase vent recovery valve were there. He also ran the truck at idle for a minute with the computer plugged into the diagnostic plug and did a visual on the tail pipe for smoke.

If you have a power chip, I would make shure it's set back to factory before you go in.

Mike
    I had my '99 Suburban with 6.5TD smogged back in January this year. I bought the truck in Illinois. It has an aftermarket, non-wastegated turbo, the stock vacuum pump for the wastegate has been deleted. It has flashed after market programming. The soot trap is in place, but the innards have been punched out. After market cross-over, downpipe and exhaust. It passed. Probably one of the first in the State to do so. I have heard of others with similar mods to theirs being failed, but eventually passed after going to a couple of shops. If need be, I can add back the stock turbo and vac pump in about an hour or so. I'll just borrow it from my son's '95 as he plans on doing the mods I have on mine.

I had mine smoged also. I went to the official State location because it's closer to my house. The cashier apologized and said they can't believe they have to do it.
    The tech lifted the hood and looked around the engine compartment. He was shorter than I am so I don't really know how much he could see. He spent more time talking to a friend that stopped by than to cheek the truck.
    Passed then took my $$$$$$$.
    Hijole

How much $$$$?

Took it to the smog station today. the technician opened the hood, had me start it and looked at the exhaust. $50.00 for a ten minute inspection, never hooked anything up to it, he could not belive my $791 dollar registration fee or that my 07 has only 14k miles on it. What a ripoff!!!!

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information