+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mixed bag Saturday

Default Mixed bag Saturday

Great day on the water today. WEAX was super calm and I saw more fish today than I can ever remember seeing. Underway at 1:00AM and enroute to an area S of the 371. At sunup found a paddy loaded with thousands of boiling yellowtail. Could only get two to eat the dines. A little frustrating to say the least but, several paddies throughout the day had exactly the same type of action. I've never seen that many yellows before. We managed only 8 of them, all about the same size, largest was 8lbs on the scale. OK, now for some tuna. Radio chatter indicates that the 390 is going off. So we point that direction and kept the jigs out. First jig strike was a single. Threw bait while leaving the troll fish hanging. No bait fish, reel in the single and was surprized to find a bluefin on the line (14lbs). Lines back in and we get a triple, with two bonus bait fish. Clean up, lines back out, two minutes later double with more bait fish. The albies were really good size too. Even could see them free jumping all around. This was the routine for an hour or so. Kept 10 albies to 35 lbs! Release several others. OK. now I'm on the BOCA tourney board and it's only 10:30AM and we are loaded with all the fish we wanted. What now? Off to PT Loma for Calico's and more points! Success, scored 3 calicos. Two small and a four lb'r (weighed and released). Too good to be true but, it's only 4:00PM. Still time to bag another tournet species. So off to mission beach area to drag the mud. Unfortunately no luck with Mr. Halibut. Oh well not a bad start for Tenacious's first fishing trip this season! We saw tons of life around the area 5 miles east of the 390. Get out there if you can. Oh yeah, talked to Bill on Knot Now but, don't know how he did today.

Good job Scott.

BFT, Yellowtail, Albi and some calicos on the first trip. It didn't take you long to get back in the game.

I hope that stuff sticks around a few more days. I would like to get out Tuesday and pull on a few of those toad albacore. Another long day at work Saturday took the fun out of getting up early and running long this morning.

Looks like another day of fishing the local afternoon bite for me.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Go get em Mike,

Wish I could ditch work and fish with you but, the big wigs are intown this week and we've got the dog/pony show. Best I might be able to do is get out on a couple weekday afternoons and attempt the white seabass and halibut fior the tourney. Heard of a good white seabass bite at PT Loma kelp on Saturday afternoon. Someone apparently tok 3 good whites on sardines in the kelp.

Good luck,
    Scott

If the wind doesn't let up I'll switch gears and do an evening trip to the kelp looking for Mr. Whitey.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information