+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LJ Squid Recon 3-30-11

Default LJ Squid Recon 3-30-11

Feel very guilty this new new year; haven't given any reports to the Board and worse yet haven't had any time to get down to the boat either. Finally this past weekend I got a chance to pull the boat out of the water for a little outdrive and zinc maintenence; there's no better feeling than the sight of piss yellow outdrive oil coming out of the drain plug instead of a murky brown/grey slime which usually means thousands later and a cancellation of your next fishing trip. Zincs were OK around 50% so I changed them as well with no stripped heads or skinned up knuckles working the wrenches in tight places. The new D4 drives take almost a gallon and a half of synthetic 75/90 and not that many Auto Stores carry it. I used to buy it in 5 gallon pales but the distributor moved to L.A. so I have to find a new one. Still have around 10 hours until the engine oil change, so Wednesday I was able to sneak out before sunset and head up to La Jolla to see what and who was around; I arrived just after sunset @ 730 and La Jolla was devoid of life. No birds, no bait, no squid, and only one or two seals. I checked all of my last year's hotspots but they were all blank so I set up west of the canyon in 90' and set out my green lite to see what would come up. After one hour a big zero; never saw anything on the meter or in the lights; so I picked up @ 9PM and headed down to last year's spot off PB for more of the same - Nothing! Got back to the dock around 10:15; the only time I saw any life was on the way out straight off the jetty; looked like plenty of birds chasing spots of mackeral in 60-70' of water. Water Temp was 57.5 off LJ, 56 off MB. Looks like I haven't missed a thing, I think we're a month early, maybe on the next full moon in 3 weeks we'll see.

That's bleak. Now I see why the Seaforth 1/2 day counts are so poor.

Mike
    NoSlack-------------------------------------------<'(((>{

Thanks for taking one for the team Jeff. I've been slacking. I keep thinking that I'm missing an early season bite. Maybe the Yakkers are killing it and keeping it hush? Appreciate the confirmation that nothing seems to be happening. The only boat activity I've had lately has been hitting the hull with "big white" whenever I get time after work. At least when the fish start eating I'll have a shiny hull.
    Tenacious

Default 4-5-11 Same Story

A little more life today but still no WSB or squid for me. Saw 5 yakkers, 2 gunners, and Tony Libre's Favorite Commercial Fish Panga, but I saw no one with fish.

Maybe next time Jeff,I was out from 12 to 5 in LJ not one bite,driffted the bottem,tried plastics in the kelp nothing.Report on Bloody Decks said the Yellows were boiling at the Rock Pile.
    Last edited by SEAMENTED; 04-06-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGHOUSE26 View Post
    and Tony Libre's Favorite Commercial Fish Panga, but I saw no one with fish.
    Tell him I said hi! Wait nevermind...
    26' Billfisher - Libre

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information